AMD ATI Driver problem

JavaBasher

Thread Junky
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
762
I don't know how it happened, I downloaded ATI Catalyst so I could update my drivers cause I had no idea if they were out of date or not. It was the only thing on the AMD website when I searched for Drivers. Now when it made my games lag uncontrollably and my graphics drivers turn to 1.0 according to windows I uninstalled Catalyst. Thus it uninstalling my graphics driver changing its name to "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and I cannot find ANY updates anywhere for it, nothing I already tried. The desktop resolution cannot change from anything past 1152x864 (using a different monitor plugged into my computer) like it sees that the monitor is plugged in and everything but wont use it, just the default resolutions from the computer.

When I think I have the update it gives me a message basically saying "Your computer cannot install this update because of your hardware/software being out of date." etc... I tried to see what GPU I had but CPUz and Everest doesn't even pick it up, it's just blank or "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".

I tried to download the Catalyst Control Center, some official AMD system check thing idk, to see what stuff I had. It just gives me the message "Nothing in your system can be configured." then windows crashes, then restarts and here I am. Like the AMD website doesn't even give me a driver to download just some crap package which started this whole mess.

I'm asking you guys to see what you can do to help me. Reinstalling windows wont solve it, at least I dont think so cause ill still need to download drivers...
 
odd, because catalyst is the driver set.

The only time i've seen this problem is when steam gets your drivers for you. try getting catalyst and using it to check for updates. beyond that i'd have to do some research on the subject.
 
who is the company that makes your card (not amd the people who actually manufacture the card) go to there website and look up your card and they should provide you with the most current correct driver for your card.

also is is this a prebuilt computer, custome built? laptop? because if its prebuilt (for w/e reason) some companies like to "customize" drivers in which the company that "customized" the drivers for there pc's then are the sole people responsible for providing updated drivers amd sometimes the card will refuse standard drivers and will only accept drivers that come from your computer manufacturer (i had this issue with Toshiba they modified the drivers and Nvida drivers would not install on it and they would tell me Toshiba is responsible for its drivers)
 
Its a Macbook Pro, and in all honesty it used to be my dads until he got himself a newer computer, he did the same thing like me (went to AMD) got the downloads for the drivers (I didn't know that drivers for ATI were called catalyst's at the time), and he said it worked just fine. The graphics card itself from what I can remember is a ATI HD 6490M maybe integrated, I looked up ATI in google and it gives me either AMD websites or nursing education, I tried looking into installing a previous driver but no such luck. When I tried to install a driver it gives me the message:

"AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter."

In regards to steam, it directs me to a page where it cannot figure out which company the graphics card belongs to and just gives me a list. I clicked ATI and it directed me back to the AMD website (square one). Oh and the Catalyst thing it gives me so much but not enough, the only driver it gives me is some HDMI audio driver, and the catalyst program itself.

EDIT:
Looking on the apple website now for drivers "MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4" said that worked for display and games basically. I'll re-edit if it worked or not.

EDIT:
Didn't work, said I did not have the appropriate program to open the file.
 
Last edited:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit , has MAC OSX Snow Leopard installed on a different harddrive.
 
I reinstalled MAC OSX and it can detect my GPU, the model and everything. But it still wont use it as the adapter still "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". You know when you refresh your computer stats and it give you a number on how well your computer did? It says there is "New Hardware detected" so i'm assuming it's the GPU its detecting (even though its disabled according to device manager). So I guess all I need now is a driver?

EDIT:
A message displays before it can finish rating my computer:

"Cannot complete assessment. The assessment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver, or other component."

For the graphics / gaming graphics it's still rated 1.0 - When the adapter is enabled it takes longer for it to finished the rating so idk what that means but I'm assuming it means it can see that I have a GPU but cannot use it. When I enable it, the rating takes no time at all and stays at 1.0 (and is 1.0 when disabled).
 
Last edited:
If it's showing up as a standard VGA device that means that you don't have any drivers installed (at least correctly). Uninstall whatever you tried to put on and start from scratch. Without drivers installed you won't get any 3d acceleration and might not be able to select high resolutions.

What model GPU do you have?

I'm also confused by your last post -- are you trying to get this working in windows or in mac os x? Re-installing mac os x should have no effect on your windows installation assuming you are actually dual booting.

edit: Did you install the MS .net framework? That's required for AMD drivers.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19
(32-bit link)
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top