Intel CPU and Motherboard

rhockeyfan

I made one post
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
16
Ok wanting to know people's Opinion on the best cpu and motherboard set up from intel. puting a geForce GTX 560 ti in the comp so things that work with this graphics card would be great.
Thx
 
I have an ASRock z68 Extreme4 running an i5-2500k @ 4.6 Ghz w/ 8GB corsair dominator 1866 RAM. It is rock solid stable and super fast. I am running a GTX 260 core 216 right at the moment but am planning on either a 6950 or quite possibly the Palit GTX 560 Sonic Platinum 2GB (which I can get for just over $200 to get me to this Nov when the GTX 600 series and radeon 7000 series come out.

I could get the proc to 5Ghz with higher temps and a slight boost in fsb clock but I dont think it needs it. It screams at 4.6Ghz and never gets above 50c at load.
 
Good choices for boards and cpu's; but none of this is actually necessary to play games haha. Its all op and unused speed.
 
Well I my issue is understanding if they work together and such... so if i go with
Core i7 2600k & Gigabyte P67A-UD7
GeForce GTX 560 ti
will it be compatible
then I still need a Power Adapter, Case, SoundBoard, maybe better cooling system, and memory is their anything else im missing
 
Soundboard = Soundcard, and that's an optional feature and not necessary, unless you're an audiophile. Still need to sit down with you and price this out Shad.

Here's your Checklist:
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Power Supply Unit (PSU)
Case
Heatsink (CPU or 3rd party)
Hard drives
DVD or Blu-ray Drives
Operating System
Monitor(s)
Keyboard
Mouse

Give everyone a maximum price with an over/under and they'll come up with some great price builds for ya. And from there, you and I can go over what'll work best for you, and where to buy and such, as we previously discussed.
 
There is no real reason to get that motherboard unless you want to use 3 video cards. Save yourself some money and get something like the asus p8p67 pro or msi gd65. Put that money to better use elsewhere like a second gtx 560 ti or nice seasonic x series or corsair ax series 80 plus gold power 'supply?'.
 
ok well the money isnt so bad... i get a lot of discounts through work and other programs so im not worried I want something that i can upgrade if need be so that is where I am coming from
 
I think what they're getting at is unless you're absolutely dead-set on sporting three GPUs, there's no other reason to buy that motherboard and it's a waste of money.

The other motherboards that folks have recommended will do all you'll ever need just as well as that motherboard. You'd be spending more money not for quality, but for something you would probably never see use out of.
 
Last edited:
Ok thanks for the advice... I plan on working with Snipe since him and I live close together... I dont think i will run more then 2 graphic cards ever if im using the 560 ti my issue is staying in the Intel Family because I get a discount. If this is the case then my next question would be if is it best just to get a top of the line process so i dont have to upgrade for awhile or get a little worse one and over clock it?
 
If you have the budget, go for the i7-2600k; if your budget should need to go a little lower than that, get the i5-2500k, because it's still very overclock-capable and still very powerful.

This is IMHO, but: As a gamer, unless you're looking to throw money away, you shouldn't really need more than the i7-2600k. You could go as low as the i5-2500k (especially if you aren't utilizing processor-intensive media programs ... while multitasking out the wazoo), unless your intent is to compete in benchmark/stress tests or to really lend a hand with Folding@Home projects. Again, you won't really need either of the latter if you're a gamer, and the i5 and i7 chips are MORE than capable of artsy programs and multitasking.

There are other factors like the number of RAM sticks and the speed thereof, and what kind of VRAM you're toting on your GPU, but looking back at this thread seems to imply that the rig you've been recommended has such grounds covered -- I don't think there will be any concern for future-proofing there!



tl;dr: I would honestly say go for the i7 or the i5 (but make sure they're the Sandy Bridge generation of Intel CPUs!). If worst comes to worse, the motherboards they've recommended will mean you are good to game in terms of CPU, GPU(s), RAM and audio for a good few years to come, and even beyond because they should still be able to support the next several years of the upcoming iterations of processors and graphics.
 
Last edited:
Well that setup will definitely work. The 2600k and that mobo both use the 1155 socket, so there won't be any issues. And your 560, like all GPUs, use PCIe X16 slots. Your mobo has 2 of those.

As far as everything else, you will still need an optical drive, one or more hard drives, a mouse and a keyboard. If you need any help with all of those other parts, just tell me.
 
You typically don't need a soundboard. Modern MOBOS have HD Audio and even full THX features. My ASROCK z68 Extreme 4 even has optical 5.1 output. (just like a DVD player).
 
Gaming put only moderate load on the core CPU. Gaming is all about the GPU. Looking at the future you may opt for an I5-2500k and multiple GPUs (video cards). Gaming cases are designed to for better fit of multiple GPUs and require more active cooling. (fans). It all adds up to the need for bigger power supply. 700 watt is plenty for a single CPU single GPU but when you putting in more cards picking your power supply must be done with more discrimination.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top