Liquid Cooling

DaftMan85

Rookie
Joined
May 28, 2011
Messages
50
Do I rly need to have Liquid Cooling or can I just use a fan?
 
Last edited:
Your preference, if you are a beginner, I recommend Fan, as it will be a pain in the neck to RMA something that has fluid all over it after a tube leak. I use fan, and I dont like taking chances. The only loud component in my case is my beastly XFX6970.
 
i dont like water cooling either. just the thought of a liquid flowing threw out tubes that may burst. will most likely destroy your computer
 
i dont like water cooling either. just the thought of a liquid flowing threw out tubes that may burst. will most likely destroy your computer

Distilled water/ coolants aren't conductive. It's still possible that it might short something, but that's why you check for leaks before running it 24/7.

As APR said, it's never a necessity. Plus if you have to ask, you probably do not need it.
 
As said before, isn't really needed.
As long as you have decent fans that push a good amount of air (CFM) you should be set. Just need to make sure you have good cable management to maximize airflow. Also a good point to make is to look for quiet fans. (:
I have 5 Thermaltake Silent Cat 120mm fans. Push 62cfm and are only 16dBA.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1164&ID=1727#Tab1
In my book, the price out weights it's performance.
Though when done right, it looks amazing.
If you'd like to get into water cooling the Corsair H70 is a self contained water cooling system that you don't need to refill and monitor for your CPU. It ranks way up there with CPU heatsinks/water blocks.
Corsair H70- Out of stock atm.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181013&Tpk=Corsair H70
 
Water cooling IS necessary :)
BUT only is you have built your computer in the last 6 months. Power consumption and heat levels are growing in new systems, but not more than a few fans can control.

Water cooling would be a commodity, but you would see some benefits.
 
Water cooling IS necessary :)
BUT only is you have built your computer in the last 6 months. Power consumption and heat levels are growing in new systems, but not more than a few fans can control.

This whole part right here, is completely wrong. I could build a Llano HTPC rig that runs passively and handle all the 1080p viewing I want and Llano just got released this summer.

Water cooling would be a commodity, but you would see some benefits.

This, however, is true. I'd say luxury instead of commodity, but it does have it's worth.
 
I've always been afraid to try liquid cooling. Besides, I consider a quiet computer unnatural. :)

I've got the Antec 1200 case. Comes with lots of fans and room for extra fans.
 
Really only depends on what you're running. If you're just running just one GTX 580/590 or 6970/6990, you'd be just fine with fans. Start getting into SLI and Crossfire, especially 3 GTX 580's, you'll NEED it.
You don't really need it for your CPU either unless you plan to OC crazy high.

This is a good example of needing water cooling. 3 GTX 580's (3GB versions) and he overclocks the i7 2600k to ~5GHz (Can't remember the exact number). Yeah the video is 33min, but you can skip ahead.
This is the external unit that he's using
Koolance ERM-3K3UC maybe the 3K3UA he never said so. Not a whole lot in price difference. the 3K3UA is $980
http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=1172

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9B1cnQ-34&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]
 
Power consumption is going down, not up. All new generation processors use less power than the previous generation. Lower power = Lower heat. Water cooling is a solution to a problem, but it has return on investment only if your system exceeds the cooling capacity of a fan based heat sink. I run a stock cooler in my rig with no issues over clocking to 4.3 ghz. However my gaming case has 5 other fans helping the environment. A properly ventilated (active or passive) case will play a big part in any temperature sensitive situation.
 
Water cooling is more of a custom thing and not so much a necessity. I put water in my PC becuase I really wanted to do it...... Sure it helps cooling and has really quieted down my PC, but I could have done without it.

...and watercooling done right doesnt leak!
 
It is necessary under the right circumstances. Like I said above. If you're running a single graphics card, even a higher heat card, you won't need it. But once you start getting into 3+ cards you need it. CPU cooling I'd say is geared more towards how high of a OC you're doing. Yeah it is also for custom looks, but it has function, just depends on what you're trying to do with it.
 
Back
Top