MSI Laptop

fudpeX

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
746
[Source = http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT683.html]

3 years ago, if you said you were getting a gaming laptop, i would have laughed at you and screamed what a waist of money.

today, my viewpoint has changed. no i wont be able to "upgrade it" but it will have many duties to serve that will make up for that con.

I'm a college student. That's pretty much what changed my opinion on it. Sure I wont be able to put a new graphics card in it, or upgrade the ram or cpu, but it portable?

I've had this POS laptop for a little over a year now. using it for school and what not, pluging it into my tv and streamed movies, brought it to the pool and turned it into a public jukebox, carried it with me to fix other peoples computers, used it for presentations and so much more.

So I'm going to do it. I'm buying a powerhouse laptop. I'm only going to be playing 1 game on it, and that game will be planetside 2 once it comes out. I think it would be nice to be mobile and play this game anywhere on campus. I've grown to not liking being coped up in a room for long periods of time. as much as i would love a tower for myself like i had before, before i had to sell my 14 year old baby. (14 years of upgrading "betty") i have to move around.

So tell me guys, What do you think about the
msi gt683r​

msi-gt683r-laptop-game.jpg


msi-gt683r-lid.jpg



CPU Intel? Core? i7-2630QM Processor (6M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
OS Genuine Windows? 7 Ultimate
Chipset Mobile Intel? HM67 Express Chipset
Memory DDR3 1333MHz, DDR3 SO-DIMM x 4 slot, Max: 32GB
LCD Size 15.6" HD (1366 x 768)
Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M VRAM 1.5GB GDDR5
HDD 750GB SATA 7200rpm *2
Optical Drive Super-Multi / Blu-Ray
Audio 2 HD Speakers+1 Subwoofer
Webcam HD Webcam
Card Reader SD(XC)/MMC/MS/XD
LAN 10/100/1000
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/ n
Bluetooth 3.0+HS
D-Sub (VGA) 1
HDMI 1
USB 2.0 port 2
USB 3.0 port 2
eSATA 1
eSATA/USB Combo N/A
Mic-in/Headphone-out 1/1
Line-in 1
Express Card N/A
Modem port N/A
Keyboard 103-key, Chiclet type
AC Adapter 150W
Battery 9 cells
Power Management N/A
Dimension 396 (L)x 269 (D)x 55 (H)mm
Weight (KG) 3.5

$1,500
 
Last edited:
Im paying for portability. I know a deskrop is cheaper. Im begining to think this was the wrong place to ask. Even after my "story". Laptops are always more expensive. I was asking if this is good compared to other laptops. Dont compare this with a desktop.
 
The machine I'm typing this on is an MSI laptop - although not a gaming one.

It's worked very well for the last 3 years - absolutely zero hardware problems.
 
For your use it looks good. Check on the Acer and Asus ones as well. But I have heard of no major issues with the MSI ones. Seem to be pretty well reviewed. I will probably buy an alienware next year when they come out with ivybridge and gtx600/R7000m series. But may go with a MSI or Acer/ASUS depending on what the best specs and deal are. I play some games on this laptop with a 5470 but it is getting a little slow for anything newer. I mostly game on my desktop but I am at work so much (I can game a bit during backups, etc.) I do use my laptop a lot so I see where you are coming from.
 
Yeah someone I know is getting that model or one similar to it. MSIs pretty good... Still have mine from 3 years ago though customized by CyberPowerPC which I realized stock is just as good and cheaper... MSI and ASUS are the few that are best for gaming notebooks for decent prices...

Yes you can upgrade the RAM on a notebook and the CPU as well (Don't bother, they're overpriced)... I am shocked they gave you 2 750GB HDDs and not 1 SSD and 1 HDD... would have made more sense but then again its a desktop replacement.
 
If you want a gaming laptop the only brand I would trust in terms of not overheating and reliable build is Alienware, but that's just me.
 
If you want a gaming laptop the only brand I would trust in terms of not overheating and reliable build is Alienware, but that's just me.

Although everyone says Alienware's laptops are great, I still hate the idea they're owned by Dell.

I looked around and you can go on cyberpowerpc and get a similar setup but with 1 750GB HDD and 1 60/64GB SSD for a little cheaper and the same specs.

I believe he said in another thread in the general forums that he already pre-ordered this.

Anyways, it looks good, granted I dislike laptops :s but it does look pretty good for a laptop.
CIS major ftw.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top