Splitter advice

Shadow19

Thread Junky
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
815
I have a question about splitters and what will give me the best internet stability. Currently I have a 4 way splitter with 3 cables going to 3 TVs and one going to the cable modem. Would putting a 2 way splitter on first with one end connecting to my cable modem and the other connecting to the 4 way splitter for the TVs increase my internet connection strength? If I did this would it be like half the main cable line bandwith/power going to the cable modem and the other half being split up to the TVs so that the cable modem gets 1/2 the power as opposed to 1/4 when its in the 4 way splitter?
 
answer, no... TV and Internet run on different wave lengths as does VoIP. adding splitters will actually reduce the speed of the incoming signals. and unless you are running into high background noise in the signal, adding a splitter wont do much of anything.

as a cable guy told me, less cable distance from wall-modem-pc will help with service speeds.basically, I wouldnt run 100 ft of Ethernet cable and expect to have the exact same performance as if it was 2 ft away. splitting the signal with the addition of another splitter will reduce the signal speed... it will not benefit you to split it again
 
Last edited:
The reason I ask is this: http://edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814

Basically my modem will get these timeouts that has to do with I believe the upstream channel, something like the power level drops or goes too high or something. So I'm trying to see if a new splitter or different setup will fix the upstream or downstream power/signal to noise problems or whatever the hell is wrong lol ; ;

Edit: My upstream power level seems to sit at 54, which I read is borderline to not being able to connect at all (my problem) and that adjusting splitters could help.
 
Last edited:
House, there are a lot of old people in my neighborhood so I don't think they are using high speed internet >.> I've already tried two different modems so I don't think that's the problem.
 
I would have the service provider check the outside connections.. in the past I ran into slow service that was caused by connections outside getting wet.

edit... run a ping test and a speed test, post the results

www.speedtest.net
www.pingtest.net
 
Last edited:
25 up 4 down
0% packet loss, ping 20ms, jitter 3ms

It's not really a speed issue, its my modem rebooting itself because something with the upstream channel and it has trouble reconnecting, gets stuck on the upstream channel.

I added a 2 way splitter first like I was talking about and my upstream power level is now at 51.
 
Signal Level Scale:

Downstream power
15 and higher (BAD)
10 to 14 (Borderline)
9 to -9 (Good)
-10 to -14 (Borderline)
-15 and lower (BAD)

Upstream power
55 and higher (BAD)
50 to 54 (Borderline)
36 to 49 (GOOD)
35 to 31 (Borderline)
30 and lower (BAD)


the cable guy told me that if the power level is TOO high, to add splitters to drop the level down...so maybe go back to your 4-way and then add the 2 way to the modem cable. the other thing that would help is to add a section of cable between the 1 and 2 splitter, slow the power down.

to be honest... you need to slow the connection down, not speed it up.
 
Last edited:
I was at 54 in the 4 way splitter, I'm now sitting at 49. All the other levels continue to look fine, maybe slightly better.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top