Mbps?

fudpeX

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
746
Comcast is confusing me. They are marketing their cable with download speeds up to 15 Mbps. That to me doesn't sound very fast.

Now if it was 15 MBps then i would be impressed. So the question is, Are they using their own terminology to confuse people?

how fast is 15 Mbps? 1.8MB a second?

so on tv when they are televising 105 Mbps, I could be getting 13MB a second? cause that would be nice.

Am i doing this math right?

With all this being said, 1.2 petabyte harddrives are coming SOON to a tigerdirect.com near you. ;)
 
Last edited:
well, I don't want to get into technical terms, but to keep it simple, no, you don't get all the speed you think you pay for. For example, you could have, lets say, 15 down, 5 up. You won't get nearly close to 15mbps download speed and 5 upload. If you want speeds like that, you would have to pay for a higher plan.
 
i know you never get whats advertised. you would have to have a direct line with the isp. all im saying is, am i looking at Mbps correctly.. cause i wanna know what im getting before i get it.
 
The higher you pay the more speed you get. I pay for 10mb/s and I get it, the best way to actually see what you're getting is speedtest.net
 
I don't think you guys are understanding my question.

I'm asking how fast 105 Mbps is that they are advertising. I can use common sense to know what the avg. would be. Was my converting right in my first post.

The higher you pay the more speed you get. I pay for 10mb/s and I get it, the best way to actually see what you're getting is speedtest.net

and i cant use speedtest.net because i haven't purchased it. Im wanting to know before i buy it. and is that Mb/s or MB/s that your getting. whats your ISP?

Because Im looking at different ISP's to use. One is using MB another is using Mb.

because 105mbps does not look as fast as 10MB/S, but if im doing the math correctly it is. thats why im asking..
 
Last edited:
One MB is 8 Mb so 13.125 MBps

and my internet is 10Mbps i'm in canada and internet is very over priced here but my ISP is Bell Sympatico
 
k so i was doing it right. thanks.

ohh and i know alllllll about Bell Sympatico, they are practically monopolizing up there. and their tech support is terrible. I heard they have been sued quite a few times. for unauthorized throttling
 
k so i was doing it right. thanks.

ohh and i know alllllll about Bell Sympatico, they are practically monopolizing up there. and their tech support is terrible. I heard they have been sued quite a few times. for unauthorized throttling

Pffttt.. man don't get me started on their tech support. I'm in Montreal and my parents pay like 50$ for internet and we get 10mbps but 195gb a month. Is that good or bad :S
 
I recently got the Comcast performance package, 15 down 3 up for $20/mo for first 6 months. The speed is pretty good, 2MB/s when at its best. I was upgrading from DSL so naturally the speeds made me giggle like a little girl when I first experienced them. What ISP/package are you upgrading/changing from?
 
the comcast site is telling me that i will dl 4GB in 5 min. with their extreme package
 
1 Mbps (1 megabit/sec) is 1 million bits/second... so, a 100 Mbps switch can theoretically handle a data transfer rate of 100 million bits/sec.

1 MBps (1 megabyte/sec) is 2^20th bytes/sec which = 8*2^20th bits/sec) which is 8388608 bits/sec

that means that a 100 Mbps (megabit/sec) switch can only transfer data at a rate of ~11.9 MBps (megabytes/sec)
 
the comcast site is telling me that i will dl 4GB in 5 min. with their extreme package

Do you need to download 4GB in 5 minutes? There's no way in hell I would spend $100-200 a month for internet. With performance you could download it in half an hour. Is 25 minutes really worth that price difference?
 
I pay $64.95/month for this speed. Be lucky for w/e you have. Being the only internet provider in my town.. they can just rise the prices to w/e they want just about.
1421453931.png
 
Do you need to download 4GB in 5 minutes? There's no way in hell I would spend $100-200 a month for internet. With performance you could download it in half an hour. Is 25 minutes really worth that price difference?

uhh, for what i do, absolutely. and 4GB in a half an hour? yeah maybe if its a torrent or a P2P program..
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top