$99 HP touchpad madness

ordered one through the HP SMB website last night. Got an e-mail confirmation today at 6 PM. No clue if that will go through or not

But

I have a backup(new primary).....refreshed eCOST.com at about 4:20 and on and finally about 5 minutes after refreshing they did the bargain countdown crap and the price changed from $399 to $99. Pounced on that as fast as i could and got through the checkout smoothly no lag. E-mail confirmation immediately. There website lagged like hell about 5 minutes after i ordered it and now its down. They the same people that were selling them on amazon through "on sale" well theyre all under the same corporation.

Hopefully i get mine this coming week and hopefully the eCOST one gets shipped tomorrow

Amazing deal for $99......can't wait till they get honeycomb on it though WebOS ain't too bad itself for web browsing etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3Snz5KO0E

Don't know why that video has so many negatives.....seems true to me. A video of honeycomb on the device wednesday? Can't wait

people don't like the video because the title is a troll.

Also there is no way he can go from perfectly stable 2.3 to perfectly stable 3.0 in 2 days.

likely a troll, but i subscribed anyway to see what happens

oh yea......reflex, maybe this might help some of the sluggishnes every once in a while.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/how-to-improve-the-performance-of-your-new-hp-touchpad/3866

Apparently, the sluggishness is due to HP implementing a debugging system that runs in the background

pffft that is so like 10 hours ago.
 
people don't like the video because the title is a troll.

Also there is no way he can go from perfectly stable 2.3 to perfectly stable 3.0 in 2 days.

likely a troll, but i subscribed anyway to see what happens



pffft that is so like 10 hours ago.

haha didn't know if u knew about it or not =/

Did that help though?? apparently its supposed to help a crap load

I think the developers should just shoot straight for honeycomb though....the newest version supports the touchpads hardware or so from what i've read
 
The amount of available drivers/knowledge/source code for 2.x is vastly greater than 3.x

ergo, 2.3 will be much easier than 3.1

And honestly, i don't really care, for web browsing i prefer webos, so all i would use android for is the apps.

The uberkernel+overclock helped more than disabling debugging stuffs.
 
The amount of available drivers/knowledge/source code for 2.x is vastly greater than 3.x

ergo, 2.3 will be much easier than 3.1

And honestly, i don't really care, for web browsing i prefer webos, so all i would use android for is the apps.

The uberkernel+overclock helped more than disabling debugging stuffs.

i see......well hopefully my orders go through and i get my tablet the middle of next week so i can play around with it
 
For those still interested, Barnes and Noble are selling them for about $101 for the 16GB Wi-FI. With S&H, it'll be roughly $108 for the entire purchase.
 
For those still interested, Barnes and Noble are selling them for about $101 for the 16GB Wi-FI. With S&H, it'll be roughly $108 for the entire purchase.

Just checked and they're sold out...

Anywhere else?
 
Geez, that was fast. Think overstock.com may have any left to sell?
 
I was reading Anandtech, reflex, and they're thinking it's WebOS surprisingly enough. They can't find any logical reason why the Touchpad performs so slow based off of its hardware, since there are many similarities to it and the iPad, as well as some adjustments to make up for any deficiencies. They think the software just needs more optimization and better graphic drivers as that should/would have corrected the "sluggishness" of the tablet.

On a similar note, I can't find the article, but I remember reading one where they put WebOS on the iPad2 and it ran much faster, twice as fast in fact. So the question is: WTH?! Is it the software or is it the hardware?!


I actually found one in my local Office Depot yesterday. I played with the display model a little....and decided to pass on buying one. It was just so sluggish. I guess I've been spoiled by my iPod touch? Some other people were looking at them too, and someone commented that the response felt like, '...a phone from the 90s.' I didn't think it was that bad, but it still helped me decide to skip buying one. Seriously considering just getting an iPad at this point - the original iPad (with out 3G) would be great for a home reader.
 
I can't find one ANYWHERE, I tried to find one in a staples (They sold in store for $50) and it seems basically everywhere local to oregon is sold out. Trying to find a deal online. Anywhere They are still being sold?
 
I actually found one in my local Office Depot yesterday. I played with the display model a little....and decided to pass on buying one. It was just so sluggish. I guess I've been spoiled by my iPod touch? Some other people were looking at them too, and someone commented that the response felt like, '...a phone from the 90s.' I didn't think it was that bad, but it still helped me decide to skip buying one. Seriously considering just getting an iPad at this point - the original iPad (with out 3G) would be great for a home reader.

The display models havent got the OTA update yet, ofc they are going to be slow.

You missed out bro. Could have sold it for like $200 on ebay.

And for $99 you can't really complain.


Mine fully tweaked, overclocked to 1.5Ghz performs on par with my iPad 2 or Xoom.

There is really hardly any difference.
 
The display models havent got the OTA update yet, ofc they are going to be slow.

You missed out bro. Could have sold it for like $200 on ebay.

And for $99 you can't really complain.


Mine fully tweaked, overclocked to 1.5Ghz performs on par with my iPad 2 or Xoom.

There is really hardly any difference.

Yep, I was this close to making the purchase. If it hadn't been for that sluggishness (it was like 20-30 seconds between apps opening) I would have gotten one. Didn't know about the missing update, ah well.
 
I hate to give this away, BUT

HP is readying another round of HP tablets for sale on their website, and sending them back out to other distributors. At the same $99/$149 fire sale prices.

AND HP confirmed that they're looking to continue development of the WebOS platform, or possibly license the software to other developers.

"Richard Kerris, an HP vice president, wrote in a message to developers on Friday saying his team plans to continue developing the software. HP CEO Leo Apotheker has said the company has explored licensing deals for webOS with other electronics manufacturers."

Be on the lookout sometime this week for this 2nd batch of Touchpads.
 
Problem with that is....

Who is going to buy or produce/develop for a failure of an OS?


It might turn arround now that their entire stock of webOS 3 devices is in the hands of consumers, but the way that iOS and Android are entrenched already, i don't think it is likely.
 
Missed the best buy cutoff by 4 people on wed. trying to get one -.-

So mad at all the people that came with like 4 family members......freaking there were like 8 grandparents buying it by themselves. Who knew they even had any clue what a touchpad was yet alone know that best buy just happened to be selling them on that day


Well, hopefully my HP SMB order goes through, its supposed to ship today but theyre probably delayed.
 
still loving mine. 5 hours of caffeine induced sleeplessness well spent.
 
A friend of mine just got one, I'm watching the news right now on it while posting :). I wish I were faster, I would have bought one :( Hopefully we can keep on a lookout for another "sale".
 
Last edited:
My sister got the 16gb one but wants the 32gb, been looking everywhere and no-one has it in the UK :(
 

Latest posts

Back
Top