High ping in CSS

thrall

Poster
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
229
Since yesterday i've noticed that my ping never falls below 100. It's normally between 50-70 but yesterday it was all over the place, jumping from 100 to 150 to 300 even to 600-700, then back down and just hovers from 99-300, its all over the place.
 
Alright.
1.) Are you the only one in the house with internet access?
2.) What kind internet speed do you have?
3.) Is it only for CSS?
4.) Have you reset your router and modem?
5.) Be sure to check for viruses. (I had a trojan on my computer that did this exact same thing) I did a search and Avast and Bit Defender and Malwarebytes were the top for removing all kinds of viruses. I ran BitDefender with Malwarebytes and ended up deleting 19 worms and 1 torjan

More on number five. When I would unplug my internet from the wall and then plug it back in, my speeds would be back to normal, then sky rocket. Same with when I would restart my computer, at first I'd be fine then after 20-30min I'd spike again. It used up half my upload speed for the entire house.
 
1. No, both my mom and dad have access aswell, usually on facebook but that has never affected me before.

2. All i know is it's just wireless, 4mb download and 512kb upload, sucks i know but its the best we can get here in the country.

3. Actually no, i notice high ping on Call of Duty and TF2 aswell, not as bad as CSS but still laggy. Never had this issue besides a random lag spike or parents on netflix.

4.Haven't in a bit but i shall try that after this.

5. I'll do those after resetting the router.
 
1. No, both my mom and dad have access aswell, usually on facebook but that has never affected me before.

2. All i know is it's just wireless, 4mb download and 512kb upload, sucks i know but its the best we can get here in the country.

3. Actually no, i notice high ping on Call of Duty and TF2 aswell, not as bad as CSS but still laggy. Never had this issue besides a random lag spike or parents on netflix.

4.Haven't in a bit but i shall try that after this.

5. I'll do those after resetting the router.

1.) Yeah, unless they're watching youtube, or netflix (Big time), uploading images on facebook etc you shouldn't get lag.

2.) Wireless could be an issue. I'm in a small town and you're beating my connection. I have 3 down 512 up. Lol

3.) That means it's not just that game exclusively.

4.) Might help a bit. Since it is wireless could always be your end. That being your computer.

5.) I'm going to guess this is the problem XD

I'm sure you know, gaming dislikes wireless in most cases.
 
Normally, it's when I leave my PS3 on or something when I get lag. It's also when something else from my PC is using quite a lot of bandwidth (torrents, live-streaming, etc.). What programs are running when you play these games?
 
Yes im aware gaming dislikes wireless. I did try restting the router which helped, ping was down to 50-60 and stayed there with the occasional spike, but i'll check for viruses and stuff.

The only thing i have generally running besides steam, is just virus protection. Things like skype, frostwire i turn off before playing any game.
 
Look at see if your virus protection has a game mode on it. My firewall has a game mode that I have to enable. If I don't it'll freeze up the game :S sometimes it'll let me get in a game but I'll lag to the point of 500+ ping. 500 being the minimum.
 
If your parents browse the internet and your router supports QoS, you might want to set that up.

Just a thought.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top