Wireless N Adapter Not Enabling?

Tanooki

Thread Junky
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
896
Hey all, been trying to wrap my head around this for awhile and haven't had any luck....

I just purchased a Linksys AE2500 Wireless N Adapter. I put it in, and my Windows 7 detected and installed the driver just fine. I put the CD in that came with it to install the driver, and it installed it and then began searching for a network. It ended up not finding a single one, when there are at least 15 around me atm. I then went and looked at my Network Connections, and saw it was disabled. I tried enabling it, which did not work.

Here's what I've tried so far (which all hasn't worked):

-Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.
-Uninstalled the driver, restarted, and installed it.
-Went and downloaded the driver from Linksys website an tried using it.
-Disabled PeerBlocker and Zonealarm and tried installing it.

I have a feeling there is some sort of conflict going on, but I'm not sure :S.

Specs:

Asrock X58 Supercomputer Mobo
MSI Hawk GTX 460
6 GB of Gskill RAM
Intel i7 920 2.67GHz
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

*Update* I just tried the Adaptor on a laptop, which it worked as intended on it... so there is something I'm missing with a setting I'm missing somewhere inside of my OS, or there is some sort of conflict?
 
Last edited:
Never mind... I got my wireless working without using and adapter.

I went and purchased another router and installed DD-WRT on it, and configured it to function as a wireless bridge... I must say that this little program is amazing! I can even increase how much data the router sends... so I can go from 300Mbps to.... well I'm not sure yet because if I increase it to much I risk burning the router out... I might end up putting fans on the router to help with that, but that's a project for another day.
 
I just purchased a Linksys AE2500 Wireless N Adapter. I put it in, and my Windows 7 detected and installed the driver just fine. I put the CD in that came with it to install the driver, and it installed it and then began searching for a network. It ended up not finding a single one, when there are at least 15 around me atm. I then went and looked at my Network Connections, and saw it was disabled. I tried enabling it, which did not work.

You had an incompatibility issue.
From your description, you installed 2 different drivers for the same device at the same time.

You can always stop or cancel Windows automatically installing your device drivers from the control panel or click "cancel" when it says "Found new hardware, <name here> installing..."

In the future, install the one Windows offers or install the one that comes with the cd(Preferred).
 
Last edited:
Errr, sorry was as specific as I needed to be. Before I installed the one that came with the cd, I uninstalled the Windows driver. I uninstalled the driver each time before I would try a new one. I'm still not sure what was going on, so I gave up and went a different way with it.
 
You already went on your ways, but I always record notes in a huge planner I have of IT problems. Yes, I sound like a geek, but it's my hobby..Along with a few other things.

Did you disable the Windows Wireless service manager?
Linksys devices usually come with a specific program that it uses.
IF your wireless service manager is still running at the time you use this program, it'll interfere with the scanning of networks.

The only reason why I know this is because I just got a USB Linksys Speedbooster and had the same exact problem, haha.
 
No I did not. However, before I tried the Linksys Adapter, I tried a PCI Rosewill Wireless N card. It did the exact same thing as the Linksys Adapter, and I pretty much did all the same steps with the Card as I did the adapter. I figured the card was junk and RMA'd it back to Newegg.

After the card, I bought a Belkin Wireless Adapter that was like $30. It installed flawlessly, and enabled it's self (unlike the Linksys and the Rosewill) and could scan for networks.... but It didn't find any networks to connect to. I grabbed the box and examined it a bit, and in VERY VERY small print it said it could only connect to 3 types of Belkin routers... I wasn't to happy with that purchase.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top