Radeon 6870 fan clicking

Rukus.

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
976
My 6870 started clicking by itself today (theres nothing in the fan, its just clicking by itself)

Its not at an intolerable volume, but its loud enough to hear in the backround while I'm playing.

I googled it and it appears someone had this same issue, but only very loud.

Also, it fluctuates from near silent to moderately annoying.
 
Sounds like something might be touching a fan blade. Not an external wire, but maybe an internal wire. Get a flashlight and see if you can see if something is rubbing maybe.
Put something in a fan blade, the faster the fan spins, the louder the noise it'll make when w/e is touching the fan blade, touches.
^^ Only suggested that even though you said nothing is in the fan because the XFX 6870's have enclosed fans. Just wanted to eliminate anything internal.

Second thing I can think of is maybe a bearing is jacked up? <---Thinking about when a bearing goes south in a car. Usually squeals like crazy.
This is kind of new to me, since most I've had happen is a fan just slowly die :S I've been lucky over the years.
 
Sounds like something might be touching a fan blade. Not an external wire, but maybe an internal wire. Get a flashlight and see if you can see if something is rubbing maybe.
Put something in a fan blade, the faster the fan spins, the louder the noise it'll make when w/e is touching the fan blade, touches.
^^ Only suggested that even though you said nothing is in the fan because the XFX 6870's have enclosed fans. Just wanted to eliminate anything internal.

Second thing I can think of is maybe a bearing is jacked up? <---Thinking about when a bearing goes south in a car. Usually squeals like crazy.
This is kind of new to me, since most I've had happen is a fan just slowly die :S I've been lucky over the years.

I opened up my PC and shined a flashlight around the fan, I didn't see any wire contacting the fan but it may have shifted when I rotated the card. If the noise stops I'll know it was a wire. If not, its a bearing :(
 
I could be wrong too Rukus.

Anyway you can record the sound it makes? Cell phone, camcorder, webcam etc?
 
I'm going to bump this thread because I'm having the same problem with my Nvidia Geforce 560TI (fermi).
It's only 2.5 months old. The clicking fades in and out, but when I can hear it, it's pretty annoying. I did a look-see for internal wires like you said, but came up with nothing.
 
Hi there,

As Celtic posted, a wire is usually the first thing to try. However, you mentioned that it's clear. If you're comfortable with it, reseat the graphics card and see if this issue still occurs. If it does, it may be an indicator that the fan is beginning to die.

Phsx, in your case, if it's still under warranty, I'd consider getting it replaced. Not sure how old is Rukus's card. As for the noise, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's probably a squeaky semi-high pitch noise right?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top