What SSD do you own!

Cigarjohn

EGO Zealot
=(eGO)=
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
1,610
I'm looking to get my first SSD for my new computer build for loading up my OS faster and I may throw a game or two on it for faster load times. I'm looking at a 120 gig drive, SATA III.

If anyone has or have used SSD's in Desktops:

1) What manufacturer did you pick?

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?

3) How long have you had that drive?

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?


I'm looking to use a SATA 3 SSD on the marvel chipset cause the two SATA 3 Intel Chip set will be used for my two 15k rpm SATA 3 HDD's. I've heard rumors that the Marvels SATA 3 chipset is much slower than the Intel's chipset. But all I'm really looking for is a dedicated 0S drive.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


Peace.
 
I have used the corsair performance 3 in 128GB. And what I have now which is the crucial C300 64GB. They both work well I just didn't need the extra space since it is just boot and when I have the time I am going to set it up as just a cache drive for the larger hard drive.
 
1) What manufacturer did you pick?

Intel

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?

Other than being too small, no.

3) How long have you had that drive?

hmmm...maybe 8 months?

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?

I change motherboards like every other week, it depends.
 
1: Manufacturer: OCZ
2: Problems: None
3: Time of ownership: 10 months
4: Interface: SATA II


I have an OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD. It's been absolutely fantastic! If you have a motherboard that supports SATA III, get the OCZ Vertex III 120GB SSD. It has roughly twice the Read/Write speed of the Vertex II. You won't be disappointed with that drive. :)

The SandForce controller on the OCZ Vertex II and III is very very quick. I would recommend that, but if you have to get one with the marvel chipset, the Crucial M4 is probably your best bet.
 
1: Manufacturer: Corsair Force 60gb
2: Problems: None
3: Time of ownership: 6 months
4: Interface: SATA III

It works great, would never go back to a normal boot drive :thumbup:
 
1: Manufacturer: Corsair Force 40 and 120 (40 for boot and 120 for games)
2: Problems: None
3: Time of ownership: 1 year
4: Interface: SATA III

It is the most noticeable performance upgrade you can do
 
1: Manufacturer: Intel 320 series 120GB
2: Problems: None
3: Time of ownership: 4-5 months
4: Interface: SATA II

I had a Intel x-25 40GB for 6 months or so before this one, again no complaints, just too small.
 
1: What manufacturer did you pick? G.Skill
2: Have you had any problems with that drive? No
3: How long have you had that drive? Just under a year.
4: Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration? SATA 2
5: Other Thought? few things I learned when picking out my SSD: get one that supports TRIM (they may all support it at this point, I don't know) and remember to go into your bios and enable ACHI (it may be on by default on your rig, but never hurts to check).
 
If anyone has or have used SSD's in Desktops:

1) What manufacturer did you pick?
OCZ (Vertex Drive)

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?
Nope, just a little too small, having to either buy another or get a new one. (HIGHLY suggest something more than a 30GB if just using it as a boot.) Would most likely go with a 64 GB for that application.

3) How long have you had that drive?
Approx. a year

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?
SATA II
 
Last edited:
1) What manufacturer did you pick?
OCZ (SOLID 3 60 gb Drive)

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?
Nope, I enjoy it. Super fast load times. Still got 31.7gb of 55.8gb's free as it's just a boot drive and I transferred the pagefile and hibernate files to my 4tb Raid 0 HDD's ^_^. I've seen some for around $1 a gig now, definitely worth it.

3) How long have you had that drive?
6 months(ish)

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?
SATA III

(edit) Update: I run my SSD on my SATA III (6gbps) marvell and it runs smoothly, I never compared it to the Intel but I'd rather have my Raid 0 configuration on that.
 
Last edited:
1) What manufacturer did you pick?

Intel X25-M G2 160GB

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?

No

3) How long have you had that drive?

Year and half

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration

Sata 2



Really the best upgrade to be made to any computer for a noticeable improvement in day to day operation.

As for a recommendation, Intel is obviously not a bad choice. However, deal wise, I have seen the 128gb crucial m4 going for as low as $150 after a coupon on buy.com. Superbiiz and Newegg have also had deals for it around $170. I would strongly consider that.
 
Last edited:
1: What manufacturer did you pick? Intel 320 120GB
2: Have you had any problems with that drive? No
3: How long have you had that drive? Just under a year.
4: Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration? SATA 2
5: Other Thought?

I wanted something that was reliable and was willing to give up some speed for it. The warranty got extended retroactively from 3 to 5 years which shows manufacturers' confidence.
 
1) What manufacturer did you pick?
Kingston (64GB V100) - Windows 7 + Starcraft II

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?
Nope. I used system links to move my users folder to my WD Blacks and keep the OS and a few programs I use frequently on the drive itself.

3) How long have you had that drive?
3-months

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?
it's a Sata 3 drive plugged into a Sata 6 port.
 
Thank you guys!

First, I want to thank all of you for your honest input on SSD's. I've read so many good and bad reviews on them that it kind of discouraged me at first. But I trust my gaming pal's at eGO for good, honest advice. I want to wish all of you much luck on your SSD's reliability.



I've decided to go with the Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD). It seemed to get excellent reviews when it came to reliability, according to the newegg.com reviews. I don't know if it supports TRIM or I might have to use some type of a garbage collection program. I know that you can download a special toolbox from Intel that has some sort of a optimizer in it. Also, I don't know if it uses Sandforce. It was $276.95 plus a $40.00 mail in rebate which I got it for $236.95. It may be a little high in price but I'm going for the reliability reviews. Even though its a little slower than the OCZ Vertex 3, it shouldn't really matter too much.

I will be using it as a boot drive for Win 7 64 and may throw in a few games. Unfortunately, it will be on the Marvel 6gbs port since I will be using the two Intel 6gbs ports for two Seagates 15,000 rpm, 600 gig drives in a RAID 0. I hope the Marvel will be good to use. Any thoughts on the Marvel Chipset guys? If its not good, I can use the Intel 3gbs port instead but will lose some speeds.

I really wanted to use this drive as a dedicated win7 drive in case I have to wipe and reinstall win7. This way, I won't have to worry about wiping out my two 600's which are in a RAID 0. Also I will be using two 2 terrabyte Seagate Baracudas XT's in a RAID 1 for internal backup of all my information.

I've also ordered the Antec HCP-1200 PSU which also had a $35.00 rebate. From $254.99 to $219.99.

And a Lian Li X2000F Black Case. Don't ask for the price for that. Ridiculous.

I'm still looking at other merchandise before building my new system. It will be a 1155 system. i7 2600k series. Heavy liquid cooling by Koolance. Massive overclocking also.

Thanks once again for your input. I know that I will have more questions to ask. Stay tuned. LOL.

Peace.
 
Last edited:
1) What manufacturer did you pick?

Intel X25-M 80GB SATA II and Intel 510 120GB SATA III

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?
None. I picked Intel for reliability rather than speed.

3) How long have you had that drive?
Got the X25 when it came out and, until recently, it was my desktop's OS drive. About a month ago, I moved the X25 to my laptop and my desktop got the 510 SSD.

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?
SATA II for both. I don't have any motherboards that support SATA III.
 
1) What manufacturer did you pick?
I got a microcenter branded SSD, I think it is an A-Data OEM rebrand.

2) Have you had any problems with that drive?
Not a single problem so far, which is amazing considering the awesome bang for the buck the SSD was for ~90 bucks at a size of 64 GB.

3) How long have you had that drive?
Around 2 months. I have had it since the beginning of June.

4) Are you using it in a SATA 2 or 3 configuration?
Sata 2 configuration. Im using sata 3 for both of my 1 TB hard drives in a RAID 0 Array.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top