I Need a new Processor!

Silencer67

Active Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Messages
384
Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy a new processor for my Desktop PC. I currently have a Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz. When I go to canirunit.com I fail almost every time and only due to my processor. I'm not looking to buy a really expensive one but I'm also not cheap. I want something that's going to last. Also, I know absolutely nothing about Processors.

What is the difference between these and is getting a i7 that expensive really worth it? Thank you for all your help.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Socket-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004LRO9B4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-950-Processor-3-06GHz-LGA1366/dp/B002A6G3V2/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1314920049&sr=1-2[/ame]
 
The only difference really that I see is the 8MB cache for the Intel vs 2MB Cache for AMD. But I also found this out.

cache is like a fast memory on the cpu chip, the processor takes data from the memory which it expects the cpu will soon use and stores it on cache, it significantly speeds up the time your cpu waits for data

So I'd say if you're looking for cheaper, go with the AMD. But if you want faster performance and more expensive, pick the Intel.
 
The only difference really that I see is the 8MB cache for the Intel vs 2MB Cache for AMD. But I also found this out.



So I'd say if you're looking for cheaper, go with the AMD. But if you want faster performance and more expensive, pick the Intel.

How big of a difference would that make?
 
How big of a difference would that make?

I'm not exactly techy, but I'd assume it'd make quite a speed difference in loading with 8MB vs 2MB. But I don't think you'd really notice it. But that's just what I think, and I stand to be correct on it, as that's what I know from my knowledge.
 
personally, Id go with the i7-960... it is an unlocked processor and well worth the under $300 price tag $290 at TigerDirect.

with a CPU upgrade, your going to need a new motherboard that will support the socket.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top