- Joined
- May 9, 2010
- Messages
- 1,281
The wireless Router seems to overheat and drop its conection atleast 2-3 / day. So I got to thinking, and set out on the task to somehow cool the Router. Before I post pics and describe the task, I'll say.... the Router is now "COLD" to the touch.(this is at the home of one of our friends)
so here goes:
I needed to find a cable to run the fan.. as the Router sits on top of the case. I looked all over.. no extra fan header on the mobo, no 4 pin molex.. nothing but a 6 pin male -- no good there either. So I made a cable.
I started with a 4 pin molex, cut for length... I couldnt find any cable pins.. so I found a few safety pins.. straightened them, fed the bare wire through the loop and applied electrical tape(I had no shrink tube, or I would have used it)
ok, so now I have a 2 pin power molex with pins.... (for show Im using a non-attached 4 pin cable) attachment is easy, 1 pin top, 1 pin bottom, wrap with electrical tape, and voila.. we have our power cable.
The fan I used already had a housing as it once was an HDD cooler. The fan was affixed to the top of the case with velcro.
I installed the Wireless Router... it now runs nice and cool. I have the fan blowing from the bottom to top since heat rises.
Just felt I should share the idea since I know many others have issue with the Router dropping conection.
SP
so here goes:
I needed to find a cable to run the fan.. as the Router sits on top of the case. I looked all over.. no extra fan header on the mobo, no 4 pin molex.. nothing but a 6 pin male -- no good there either. So I made a cable.
I started with a 4 pin molex, cut for length... I couldnt find any cable pins.. so I found a few safety pins.. straightened them, fed the bare wire through the loop and applied electrical tape(I had no shrink tube, or I would have used it)
ok, so now I have a 2 pin power molex with pins.... (for show Im using a non-attached 4 pin cable) attachment is easy, 1 pin top, 1 pin bottom, wrap with electrical tape, and voila.. we have our power cable.
The fan I used already had a housing as it once was an HDD cooler. The fan was affixed to the top of the case with velcro.
I installed the Wireless Router... it now runs nice and cool. I have the fan blowing from the bottom to top since heat rises.
Just felt I should share the idea since I know many others have issue with the Router dropping conection.
SP
Last edited:



