My old man wants new GPU

VP :3

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
4,834
So, my dad wants to be able to hook up his 23" TV to his computer so he can run 3 screens at one time and watch movies at once. The only problem is... His computer is a Dell from 2005. I'll get specs soon, but I know his GPU is a Nvidia GT8800.

Edit: Right now we are currently looking at this Radeon HD 6770 1GB
 
Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870
Cheapest card i could find that would allow you to run three monitors off 1 card

no need to get a 6770 just to power a monitor

you will also need this to use all three monitors, unless one of your monitors has native displayport:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999032

Cool, thanks for finding a cheap card for running 3 monitors. And I also noticed though that the Active DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D doesn't support 1980x1020, so I've read in the reviews.
 
Last edited:
Cool, thanks for finding a cheap card for running 3 monitors. And I also noticed though that the Active DisplayPort to Single-Link DVI-D doesn't support 1980x1020, so I've read in the reviews.

Ninjaedit: Yeah, my dad's motherboard has no PCI-E slots.

there is no such thing as an AGP or PCI 8800 GT.

So someone is lying here.

Also, single link supports up to 1920x1200, no higher though.
 
there is no such thing as an AGP or PCI 8800 GT.

So someone is lying here.

Also, single link supports up to 1920x1200, no higher though.

Yeah, I figured that out after I double checked the card he has on Newegg, that was my fault. So if we went with the single link and the GPU, what all would we have to upgrade?
 
Yeah, I figured that out after I double checked the card he has on Newegg, that was my fault. So if we went with the single link and the GPU, what all would we have to upgrade?

Theoretically yes.

Well, what PSU do you have right now?

If it can run an 8800GT, then it should be able to run a 5670 easy.
 
Right.

Also, you'll need the adapters, unless I'm wrong again. (just a reminder!)
 
Right.

Also, you'll need the adapters, unless I'm wrong again. (just a reminder!)

Reflex already routed me to one. We've decided to go with the card and adapter. Would there be anything else we'll have to upgrade to accommodate the card?
 
Reflex only said "Theoretically, yes."

Which is NOTHING of the sort related to probably not.
 
It is unlikely, but there is always the chance for some strange fuster cluck to occur, and need to buy a new _______ .

I just don't want to be blamed in the event that I could potentially be wrong.

/lawyer mode
 
Lol, it's alright Reflex. If something else needs upgraded, it shouldn't be an issue.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top