Valve Game issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfujesus

Rookie
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
48
I can't seem to play any Valve games at all on steam. I launch them and then the main screen comes up before the loading screen but as soon as i hit the loading screen it will give me a "hl2.exe has stopped responding" error message... All of my games were working as of 2 days ago. Now it is ONLY the Valve games. I can run BFBC2 just fine and COD4 just dandy.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I have searched the steam forums and tried a few solutions but nothing so far has worked.
 
Just tried that with no luck. Once i hit the loading screen it just stops working and shuts down my game or I will have to ctrl+alt+del it...
 
go to steam/logs and see what the log files say.

also, check the crash files in control panel/Admin tools/comp management/event logs .... see if there are any errors. If there are, post them here.
 
Hmm my steam just told me to defrag tf2 when I tried to launch it. My only errors are from my applications crashing (tf2,css,dod) when I try to start them up.

*edit The defrag didn't do anything. I still get a crash :(
 
Last edited:
I had the exact same problem about three months ago or so and non of the suggested fixes worked. I ended up having to completely uninstall steam and the games and reinstall everything to get it working again.
 
Hmm... Okay i was hoping it wouldn't come down to that but i guess its my only options. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens.


Thanks guys.
 
Okay guys. I did a complete reinstall of steam and all my Valve games. And it still hangs up on load screen. I also tried updating all my driver and such as well.

So to list the times i have done.
1. Renamed my .bin file to replace it with newly built one.
2. Rebuilt my files in steam directory.
3. Tried running it in -autoconfig (runs in default mode)
4. Tried to use the dxlevel8 command.
5. Deleted all the .blob files in steam folder.
6. Complete reinstall of steam and games.
7. Updated all drivers.

I am out of ideas on what to do next. I can't believe it just decided to stop working on me. Steam support just gives very useless tips on how to fix this issue none of which have helped.
 
Oh I think i got it running possibly. I just ran steam in Windows XP sp 3 compatibility mode and turned off "Allow in game chat". Now to find out which one really solved the issue.

Edit*

I lied I got to the main menu of TF2 one time.. Now I can't get back into it.
 
Last edited:
Okay guys I have fixed it. After a few reinstalls of Steam i was getting a error message on Steam launch that said something about how I shouldn't run it in compatibility mode, even when I didn't have any compatibility mode on. This was apparently my issue.

Steps to solve this.

Start > Run > regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > AppCompatFlags > Layers > Delete the registry for Steam

Then run Steam again and the message will go away

This solved my issue with the compatibility message and my hl2.exe not responding error.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top