2 monitors

The Slayer

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,948
Hey guys

I have this spare monitor of like 19", samsung nothing fancy and stuff. That monitor is part of a PC that I hardly use. Now my question is, can I run 2 monitors on my GPU. I'll post my specs below. Here's what I would like to know:

  1. Is it possible to have 2 desktops?
    I'm not planning on playing on 2 monitors because of the bezel in the middle. I basicly want that 1 monitor can be ingame, the otherone can be for example msn, facebook, youtube, etc. Is that possible?
  2. If that is possible, how do I do it?
    Do I need special software, hardware, etc etc
  3. What do I have to do with the drivers?
    Big question: drivers on AMD cards are so hard nowadays. I am not able to open my CCC at the moment. I start it and it would just not open.
  4. final question: what are the riscs i'm taking if i do this?
    is there a chance my entire windows can crash? Riscs that can damage my computer internal or external.

SPECS:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
Bloomfield 45nm Technology

RAM
6.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (8-8-8-20)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T SE (LGA1366)

Graphics
SMXL2370HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5970 Series

Hard Drives
1 TB SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device

Thanks in advance

Slayer
 
1) Yes. Just have two computers.

2) A second PC.

3) Regular video card updates, patches, etc.

4) Slim to none.

Now, I'm going to assume you meant, can you play a game on one monitor while the other monitor shows ventrilo, Internet, email, etc. Yes, that is possible. But you're mistaking it as being two different desktops. In this case, it'll be ONE desktop that extends from one monitor to the other. Think of it as a very long rectangular desktop.

With that video card, you will be able to run it. Just plug the appropriate connection for the monitor into the corresponding video card connection. Plug-and-play in essence. You don't have to do anything special in regards to video card drivers, but I haven't used AMD cards so I can't be 100% sure. But really, just plug it in, open up your video graphics or the video card graphics utility, and set the parameters to extend windows desktop to the 2nd monitor, and set/place them how you want the images to show up exactly. And you're good to go. Just remember, if you want to play in game, then click on a separate webpage on the other monitor, you need to set the game to be in Window-mode, or else it'll keep minimizing/maximizing the game every time you click out/into it.
 
problem is, i can't access the video graphics utility.

What resolution would the game be in? like the max from 1 monitor? Say i want to play on my 24" i'd put my game on 1920x1080 windowed?

For example:
I play css on the main monitor. When i die i want to chat on facebook and watch some youtube videos (on the second monitor).

other example
I'm programmign on the main monitor while having a word document on the second one?

I'd also like to have the ability to drag windows from 1 monitor to another one. If you know what i mean?
 
Go onto your desktop with both monitors plugged in. Ruhr click on the screen and go to screen resolution. This allows you to change the resolution obviously. I am not at home so i am trying to explain this by memory but essentially you should see a picture that has both monitors with a number 1 on one and a number 2 on the other. There should be options under that to allow you to sync both as one monitor or to keep one as an extension. If you use an extension then when you open CSS or dos or whatever you play in fullscreen only the first monitor will be used this allows you to keep your second monitor blank or you can drag your vent and Internet browser to the second monitor. If I get ome and this hasn't been answered with a better description I'll send you pictures and a walkthrough
 
It won't screw up the PC. If anything, it will only mess with your video resolution. You can set the resolution to be the same or different on each monitor (obviously, same res is best). Just plug in the 2nd monitor and mess around. Only bad thing you can do is spill water onto your PC while plugging the monitor in. It's really not difficult or hard.

Googling it will also show you how to do it as well. It LITERALLY is just plug in that 2nd monitor, set your resolution on it, and you're good to go.

Edit: And for what you want to do about gaming and FB, it's like as I told you. Just make sure the game is in Windowed mode so you can go back and forth seamlessly. And if you didn't download a GPU utility, you can still just do what Dayman said.

Right Click Desktop
Go to Properties
Go To Settings
There, you should see two monitors.
Be sure to activate/extend desktop to 2nd monitor
Position monitor to how you want it to be setup (if 2nd monitor is on the right, make sure you line it up to the right virtually)
Set your resolution
Click Ok
Mess with it as necessary.

You can ALSO set your game to max out resolution so it's on both screens, BUT that'll be annoying as hell for you with the bezel between the monitors, not to mention it'll really mess with your aiming (Your aim reticle is exactly between the two bezels)

In short, PLUG THAT 2ND MONITOR IN! =D
 
Last edited:
same resolution isn't possible, the max of my main is 1920x1080 other one is smaller like 1280x720 or something :(
 
Set them at their respective max, and get used to how it differs then. Obviously it helps if both monitors can be set at the same resolution, or at least, a resolution that correlates well with the other. I'm using a 21.6" Widescreen with a 19" standard LCD monitors (Hann-G + Dell) I don't remember the resolutions off the top of my head, but I think they're like 1366x768 + 1280x720. Because of the size differences, they perfectly match up screen wise for what I do.

WoW, CoD4, Borderlands, TMN, etc on the main screen, where I run most games in windowed mode, with ventrilo, zune player, internet browser, etc. on the other monitor. However, CoD4 I run in full resolution as in windowed mode, I can accidentally click outside of the game if I move my mouse fast enough then firing the weapon. So then I'm standing still in the middle of a firefight, until I reclick into the game and then move. So in that instance, I run Full Screen mode.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top