What happens if...

iEye Captain

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 14, 2009
Messages
2,849
I change my motherboard, processor and RAM?

Nothing else.

1) Physically remove old parts.
2) Put in new parts (the three above)
3) Turn on computer.

What happens then?

I'm upgrading those 3 components soon..

Thanks! :w00t:
 
Actually, it may have an effect on him. Most times, you'd be advised to do a fresh reinstall of your OS. However, it depends on the motherboard/CPU being upgraded and replaced. Not to mention what kind of PSU are you currently using, and what you will be using as replacements. We need more details, like

1) Current CPU
2) Current mobo
3) Current RAM
4) Current PSU
5) For fun, current GPU

And what you will replace 1-3 with. Then we can judge if anything happens, especially if the parts you're going to get are good or not.
 
Actually, it may have an effect on him. Most times, you'd be advised to do a fresh reinstall of your OS. However, it depends on the motherboard/CPU being upgraded and replaced. Not to mention what kind of PSU are you currently using, and what you will be using as replacements. We need more details, like

1) Current CPU
2) Current mobo
3) Current RAM
4) Current PSU
5) For fun, current GPU

And what you will replace 1-3 with. Then we can judge if anything happens, especially if the parts you're going to get are good or not.

1) Phenom X4 9750
2) I can't remember. ASUS... AM2... something something -PRO...Micro ATX.. It was very cheap. Like... $50.
3) DDR2 - 800. 4GB.
4) Corsair TX750 v2 (yes I know it's overkill by a lot. Wanted to futureproof)
5) EVGA GTS450

To be replaced with:

1) AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
2) Don't know yet. I'm looking to spend around $100 on this (+/- $20)
3) DDR3 1333 8GB.
4) Same.
5) Is it worth SLI'ing my GPU? That'll cost $100.

Extra question: I lost my Windows 7 DVD. It was this. I still have the Product Key stuck to the side of my computer though. What are my options if I need to reinstall Windows? :(

Thanks again!
 
1) Phenom X4 9750
2) I can't remember. ASUS... AM2... something something -PRO...Micro ATX.. It was very cheap. Like... $50.
3) DDR2 - 800. 4GB.
4) Corsair TX750 v2 (yes I know it's overkill by a lot. Wanted to futureproof)
5) EVGA GTS450

To be replaced with:

1) AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
2) Don't know yet. I'm looking to spend around $100 on this (+/- $20)
3) DDR3 1333 8GB.
4) Same.
5) Is it worth SLI'ing my GPU? That'll cost $100.

Extra question: I lost my Windows 7 DVD. It was this. I still have the Product Key stuck to the side of my computer though. What are my options if I need to reinstall Windows? :(

Thanks again!

if you have a legit cd key you could try downloading a "trail" version and just use your key

also i never suggest pirating software...but when you pay for windows you pay for the code not the disk so downloading the software and using your legal cd key isn't really illegal BUT if you want to be 100% legal and sure plus you definitively wont get a virus you can call Microsoft and they will send you a windows cd (no activation code cd only) for about 3 bucks. or if you have a friend with the same version you can have them copy it or just barrow the disk and use your key (again you pay for the code not the physical software your paying for the right to use it)

Its not uncommon for pc repair shops to have copied versions of every version of windows because they know customers wont always have the disk but many people have the activation code on their computers so if they need to clean install windows its not a problem
 
Its not uncommon for pc repair shops to have copied versions of every version of windows because they know customers wont always have the disk but many people have the activation code on their computers so if they need to clean install windows its not a problem

Is this what you're referring to?

Under "Windows OS Installation".
 
1) Phenom X4 9750
2) I can't remember. ASUS... AM2... something something -PRO...Micro ATX.. It was very cheap. Like... $50.
3) DDR2 - 800. 4GB.
4) Corsair TX750 v2 (yes I know it's overkill by a lot. Wanted to futureproof)
5) EVGA GTS450

To be replaced with:

1) AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
2) Don't know yet. I'm looking to spend around $100 on this (+/- $20)
3) DDR3 1333 8GB.
4) Same.
5) Is it worth SLI'ing my GPU? That'll cost $100.

Extra question: I lost my Windows 7 DVD. It was this. I still have the Product Key stuck to the side of my computer though. What are my options if I need to reinstall Windows? :(

Thanks again!

Download a .ISO format of the Windows DVD you're trying to use. OEM keys will only work with OEM versions of Windows, retail keys will only work with retail versions of Windows, choose the right one.*
Burn it to a DVD, going at 2-4x for best accuracy.
When it asks you for your CD key, insert it.**

*It is legal for you to virtually download an item you've purchased. Look for a lot of seeders and positive comments if you decide to torrent.
**Often, OEM keys are tied to hardware components. That's why they are so cheap. If you purchased your computer from a retailer, make sure when you upgrade, you confirm your key is still valid.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top