Will this work?

Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
522
Hard Drive: Samsung 2TB Spinpoint F4

Blu-Ray Drive: LG - BH10LS30

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX750M

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (3.30Ghz)

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX MB

Graphics Cards: EVGA Geforce GTX580 (772Mhz)

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe Card only

Wireless Card: TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Universal

Fans: Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Fan 1600RPM x2

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Speakers: Logitech X-530

Mouse: Razer Deathadder

Will this build work together with no bottlenecks or anything and is there anything i should add or get rid of?

Thanks
 
your hard drives are always going to be a bottleneck and you picked a really slow one. That drive is only a 5400 rpm drive. You are way better off using two 1TB spinpoint f3 drives which are 7200 rpm in raid 0 if you are going to go with conventional hard drives. You can always blow big money on SSD's if you'd like two, but I have two Spinpoint F3's in raid 0 and get over 260MB/S read which is plenty fast.
 
Ok thanks ill go with the two 1TB spinpoints. I was getting them originally but saw that the 2TB was cheaper so went with that not even thinking about speed.
 
Are the fans i added needed because the case i am getting already has a top, a back and a front fan and if i got rid of the extra fans i would have the money to get that Mobo.
 
you really dont *need* additional fans.

and yea, it seems like you spent a disproportionate amount of money on GPU+CPU, and neglected the motherboard.
 
Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 x2

Blu-Ray Drive: LG - BH10LS30

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX750M

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (3.30Ghz)

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO MB

Graphics Cards: EVGA Geforce GTX580 (772Mhz)

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe Card only

Wireless Card: TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Universal

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Speakers: Logitech X-530

Mouse: Razer Deathadder

So is this all good now, anything else i should change?
 
IMO razr keyboard are a bit pricey. I have a sidewinder X4, and its very similar. But cheaper.

You really dont need a sound card, just use the onboard sound the motherboard has if that is ok with you, might save you a couple bucks. I suggest Rip Jaws or Corsair ram too. They are top manufacturers.
 
I swapped the RAM to Corsair 8GB Kit (2x4GB). Will that work with the motherboard and i also got rid of the soundcard.
 
Latest Edition:

Hard Drive 1: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3

Hard Drive 2: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3

Blu-Ray Drive: LG – BH10LS30

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast TX750M

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (3.30Ghz)

RAM: Corsair 8GB Kit (2x4GB)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO MB

Graphics Cards: EVGA Geforce GTX580 1536MB (772Mhz)

Wireless Card: TP-Link TL-WN951N Wireless N PCI Adapter

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Universal

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa or Logitec G110

Speakers: Logitech X-530

Mouse: Razer Deathadder

What do you think?

Any other changes i should make, i will be buying sometime this week.
 
Last edited:
Exactly how much are you going to be overclocking your i5? I dislike the 212+ personally but it's not a bad choice.

How fast is the ram that you picked?

I have a Razer Lycosa, the drivers for it aren't that great. At least once a day a key will stop working so I have to unplug the keyboard and then back again. Also the touch pad box where you can change the volume and song can glitch out as it collects finger prints.. REALLY easy. I love Razer, I still have my Tarantula somewhere and my Razer Copperhead, Lachesis, Carcharias and Destructor mouspad so.. take my word for it as a big Razer user.. you might want to shy away because of the glitchy drivers.

Sound card?

Are you really buying Logitech X-530 speakers? I have the X-540 and they're a bit of a step up. Though I don't really use them, they sound alright. Honestly I'd take that money and put it towards a nice headset unless you already have one :)

Operating System?

Think that's all for now.
 
I am not really sure how much i am going to overclock it, this is my first desktop computer (i currently use my brothers pc and a laptop) so i dont know much about overclocking and other things yet.

Corsair 8GB Kit (2x4GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3, Vengeance Series, 8-8-8-24, Dual Channel Kit. Is that what you needed?

Someone earlier in the thread said that I should just use the onboard sound the motherboard has.

I already have a decent headset and i want speakers. My brother has the X-530s and they sound pretty good so i was just getting them but if there are X-540s i will get them.

I am getting Windows 7 Home Premium.
 
Lots of videos and tutorials out there as well as a bunch of people on the forums that have that CPU that would be able to help find a stable clock :)

Yes it is, I was worried you weren't getting at least 1600 speed.

You can do just onboard but you won't get as high quality of sound as if you get a say a Creative sound blaster sound card. I haven't used or heard any onboard sounding even remotely as good as even a cheap $40 sound card.

Well considering they don't make the X-530's and X-540's any longer, you'll need a new choice. The X-530/40 are now called Logitech Z506 (87.99) though. Honestly if you don't plan on using the 5.1 there isn't a point in getting these. You need to find an area to place the rear speakers, and you most likely won't end up with THAT much wire. I have a problem with this using my X-540's.

Honestly I'd suggest Logitech Z623 They're only 2.1 but you don't have to worry about trying to rearrange your whole space to just get your 5.1 to work. They're MUCH louder then the X-530/40's and Z506 from Logitech. So music will rattle your house, movies too, games too, just it's not surround.

Win 7 HP 64-bit only reads up to 16GB worth of memory (RAM and your graphics RAM included) if you were to get two more sticks of ram giving you 8GB you'd only be using part of one of the sticks of ram because of your graphics card has 1.5GB worth. Just something to keep in mind. Do you need anything higher than 8? Not as of right now. Win 7 Pro 64-bit OEM is 40 more than HP OEM. But if you're fine where you are stick with HP. :) Just food for thought really.
 
Thanks, Im going with HP because thats all i can afford right now. Other than the speakers is the rest of the build ok? Like will it fit together and have no bottlenecks or anything?
 
In my opinion, you won't have much of a bottleneck. If you could afford a SSD you wouldn't have any at all. I'd suggest overclocking to at least 3.8. That's about it really. But wait until others respond :) Don't go by just me. Reflex or a few others might chirp in. They're good. :)
 
Lots of videos and tutorials out there as well as a bunch of people on the forums that have that CPU that would be able to help find a stable clock :)

Yes it is, I was worried you weren't getting at least 1600 speed.

You can do just onboard but you won't get as high quality of sound as if you get a say a Creative sound blaster sound card. I haven't used or heard any onboard sounding even remotely as good as even a cheap $40 sound card.

Well considering they don't make the X-530's and X-540's any longer, you'll need a new choice. The X-530/40 are now called Logitech Z506 (87.99) though. Honestly if you don't plan on using the 5.1 there isn't a point in getting these. You need to find an area to place the rear speakers, and you most likely won't end up with THAT much wire. I have a problem with this using my X-540's.

Honestly I'd suggest Logitech Z623 They're only 2.1 but you don't have to worry about trying to rearrange your whole space to just get your 5.1 to work. They're MUCH louder then the X-530/40's and Z506 from Logitech. So music will rattle your house, movies too, games too, just it's not surround.

Win 7 HP 64-bit only reads up to 16GB worth of memory (RAM and your graphics RAM included) if you were to get two more sticks of ram giving you 8GB you'd only be using part of one of the sticks of ram because of your graphics card has 1.5GB worth. Just something to keep in mind. Do you need anything higher than 8? Not as of right now. Win 7 Pro 64-bit OEM is 40 more than HP OEM. But if you're fine where you are stick with HP. :) Just food for thought really.

I have 16GB of RAM, and a 2GB video card, and widows HP can still recognize and allocate all 16GB.

video ram has nothing to do with it..............

Thanks, Im going with HP because thats all i can afford right now. Other than the speakers is the rest of the build ok? Like will it fit together and have no bottlenecks or anything?

seems fine to me.
 
I have 16GB of RAM, and a 2GB video card, and widows HP can still recognize and allocate all 16GB.

video ram has nothing to do with it..............

Well excuse me! Kidding. This is just what I understood as far how much an OS can address as far as memory.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top