- Joined
- Aug 8, 2009
- Messages
- 530
Intro!
Alright, I won't bore you with my story of why I'll be needing these. Questions you may be thinking to ask I answered under "The MEAT!" and some choices I've made are under "The POTATOES!" Now, I know a bit about audio equipment (car stereos, guitar/bass cabs/heads, speakers etc etc) so you don't have to try and explain anything
I'm just asking your opinions on my choices as well suggestions.
The MEAT! (Need to know)
My price point? ~$200 USD (250 at most). Most likely I'll end up just asking for money on Christmas so I won't be pouring much of my own money into it hehe.
What will you be using it for?I'll be using it for personal music (mp3 player), movies (computer/receiver), gaming (computer).
Will I use them outside? Depends on how ridiculous they look! As well if I'm riding my BIKE!<--Click lol
Specifications? Audiophile grade, as well as closed ear if possible (not not necessary) as well as being over ear (no earbuds or on ear headphones please)
Certain brands? I will never buy a Beats Audio or Soul product so don't suggest it please. I won't buy Astro either. Other then that not really.
Wired? Wireless? Is that really a question? Wired.
Genres you listen to? Anything but country. I go on spurts of only Metal for a week then Dubstep the next. Then I'll go a week listening to classical and rap for no reason. So it just depends.
What will you be plugging it into? When using my computer, this horrible Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi that I bought 4 years ago and when I'm in my living room a Yamaha HTR-5830.
Will you be using an amplifier for this? At some point probably. If you can suggest one too that would be wonderful.
The POTATOES! (Choices I've picked)
Audio-Technica ATA-700 First choice, they do look silly I know, but I've heard LOTS of good things about them. Sound quality, build quality, versatility etc.
Sennheiser HD 518 Sennheiser HD 558 and Sennheiser HD 598 These are my 2nd/3rd/4th choice. I love Sennheiser products, I've heard A LOT of good things about these. The 518's are close to my 1st pick. But I love the range the ATA-700's offer. The 598 would be a bit overkill but depending on how much I can get for Christmas...
overkill won't bother me. Hahaha. Two problems I hear are build quality. They feel a little flimsy, afraid you'll break it if you even set it down on your bed. As well as feeling tight on your head.
V-MODA Crossfade LP High quality build. Kevlar wrapped wires, soft feeling on your head. They sound great (after a 20-25 hour burn in). Great lows, but washed out highs (fixable with an EQ) but these are better for Rap/electronic type of music. Pretty much my last choice. Mostly because of the fact that I listen to anything other than country and these are not suggest if you listen to Rock, metal, classical etc. even though a lot of the problems with the highs can be fixed with an EQ there are better choices out there.
The QUESTION!
What do you think about these choices? What other headphones that are in the Audiophile category would you suggest based on "The MEAT!"? I really don't want to see people suggest some $20 Sony's.
End result!
I will be buying a pair of Audiophile headphones, a new sound card (most likely an ASUS XONER or another Creative higher end). What will I do for a mic? Most likely will end up buying a Blue Snowball microphone. Why not get a cool headset too? I already have one, but it's nearing on 2 years old. It's time to retire them. Probably will end up spending about.. $250-350 USD when it is all said and done. Next thing to upgrade.. desk built by my own hands.
Alright, I won't bore you with my story of why I'll be needing these. Questions you may be thinking to ask I answered under "The MEAT!" and some choices I've made are under "The POTATOES!" Now, I know a bit about audio equipment (car stereos, guitar/bass cabs/heads, speakers etc etc) so you don't have to try and explain anything
I'm just asking your opinions on my choices as well suggestions.The MEAT! (Need to know)
My price point? ~$200 USD (250 at most). Most likely I'll end up just asking for money on Christmas so I won't be pouring much of my own money into it hehe.
What will you be using it for?I'll be using it for personal music (mp3 player), movies (computer/receiver), gaming (computer).
Will I use them outside? Depends on how ridiculous they look! As well if I'm riding my BIKE!<--Click lol
Specifications? Audiophile grade, as well as closed ear if possible (not not necessary) as well as being over ear (no earbuds or on ear headphones please)
Certain brands? I will never buy a Beats Audio or Soul product so don't suggest it please. I won't buy Astro either. Other then that not really.
Wired? Wireless? Is that really a question? Wired.
Genres you listen to? Anything but country. I go on spurts of only Metal for a week then Dubstep the next. Then I'll go a week listening to classical and rap for no reason. So it just depends.
What will you be plugging it into? When using my computer, this horrible Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi that I bought 4 years ago and when I'm in my living room a Yamaha HTR-5830.
Will you be using an amplifier for this? At some point probably. If you can suggest one too that would be wonderful.
The POTATOES! (Choices I've picked)
Audio-Technica ATA-700 First choice, they do look silly I know, but I've heard LOTS of good things about them. Sound quality, build quality, versatility etc.
Sennheiser HD 518 Sennheiser HD 558 and Sennheiser HD 598 These are my 2nd/3rd/4th choice. I love Sennheiser products, I've heard A LOT of good things about these. The 518's are close to my 1st pick. But I love the range the ATA-700's offer. The 598 would be a bit overkill but depending on how much I can get for Christmas...
overkill won't bother me. Hahaha. Two problems I hear are build quality. They feel a little flimsy, afraid you'll break it if you even set it down on your bed. As well as feeling tight on your head.V-MODA Crossfade LP High quality build. Kevlar wrapped wires, soft feeling on your head. They sound great (after a 20-25 hour burn in). Great lows, but washed out highs (fixable with an EQ) but these are better for Rap/electronic type of music. Pretty much my last choice. Mostly because of the fact that I listen to anything other than country and these are not suggest if you listen to Rock, metal, classical etc. even though a lot of the problems with the highs can be fixed with an EQ there are better choices out there.
The QUESTION!
What do you think about these choices? What other headphones that are in the Audiophile category would you suggest based on "The MEAT!"? I really don't want to see people suggest some $20 Sony's.
End result!
I will be buying a pair of Audiophile headphones, a new sound card (most likely an ASUS XONER or another Creative higher end). What will I do for a mic? Most likely will end up buying a Blue Snowball microphone. Why not get a cool headset too? I already have one, but it's nearing on 2 years old. It's time to retire them. Probably will end up spending about.. $250-350 USD when it is all said and done. Next thing to upgrade.. desk built by my own hands.
Last edited:













