Finally!

:lol: Have no idea why SB didnt have a impressive launch, was the fastest desktop cpu on its launch day. The only thing that came close was a 990x then it was about 50/50 but why pay $1000 when SB was $330 at the time. Pretty much won alot of people over unless a couple people on this thread or AMD fanboys (which is what i was...) :biggrin:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x_9.html#sect0

He's talking about the massive recall on P67 motherboards over a failing SATA controller on the chipset.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/246709,intel-announces-sandy-bridge-recall---epic-silicon-fail.aspx

Sandy Bridge as a platform got off to a rocky start earlier this year.




@reflex99, please tell me you went with the ASRock 990FX and not an ASUS Crosshair V. The bios on the ChV right now seems to hurt performance some.
 
Last edited:
He's talking about the massive recall on P67 motherboards over a failing SATA controller on the chipset.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/246709,intel-announces-sandy-bridge-recall---epic-silicon-fail.aspx

Sandy Bridge as a platform got off to a rocky start earlier this year.





oooo ok, the motherboard issue, even then people were still buying the CPU due to its awesome performance....could bulldozer be good...maybe , we dont know right now....its just sad in my opinion that amd worked on this for a year plus only to be "as" good if not worse then Intels i7 2500k & 2600K series CPUs that came out in jan of this year.. to me amd made this huge hype about how it was going to be soooo fast...and its not... if this CPU came out at the beginning of the year...thats a different story
 
I agree with JPigg right now. I felt like there was massive over-hype about it, as well.

I was pretty set on buying the FX-8120 and getting it to at least 4.4GHz, but now that I've seen how it actually performs, I'm quite disappointed. I'll be waiting a little longer, no demanding games are coming out that can't be ran on my computer anyway.
 
it's not "so weak". In most every game run at a decent resolution, it performs on par or noticeably close to 2500K (2500K and 8120 are same price, just FYI).

It only really "fails" in poorly threaded applications, which luckily, are not the future of computing.

Bulldozer has only been out for 1 day. Compilers have just been updated, and devs have yet to implement new instructions sets, and properly code their applications for bulldozers "different" architecture.

We'll see once i get it. I'll post up some benchies, and we can get some 2500K guys to do the same. Personally, i really don't trust all of the BD reviews, as results seem very skewed between them, which to me, indicates some kind of unseen variable.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested/8

When you have a cpu limitation, it does not matchup well to the 2500k. At higher res though, obviously they all perform close enough since the gpu limitation comes into play.

It is true that it may not be weak in the sense that it comes close to some of the benches to the 2500k, but I meant more the hype surrounding it and all the delays for it to not even fully match the 2500k. And as diamond said, for it to even be beat by the x6 in some tests, not that impressive. Hell, compared to the x6, the recommendations from before about holding off for bulldozer may have been wrong as well given the price/performance.
 
oooo ok, the motherboard issue, even then people were still buying the CPU due to its awesome performance....could bulldozer be good...maybe , we dont know right now....its just sad in my opinion that amd worked on this for a year plus only to be "as" good if not worse then Intels i7 2500k & 2600K series CPUs that came out in jan of this year.. to me amd made this huge hype about how it was going to be soooo fast...and its not... if this CPU came out at the beginning of the year...thats a different story

It was a motherboard issue that completely removed the boards from the market. Nobody was buying the CPU no matter how good the performance was because you could not buy a motherboard anywhere to put it in.

Of course, I'm still disappointed in Bulldozer, but we'll see. People were comparing this to when dual-cores were first released and software/OS weren't capable of using it (you could argue a lot of games still don't). Of course, I'm skeptical of anyone who claims to know anything specific about the future of the tech industry. Maybe working the OS will help BD's performance, or maybe they've already done that and this is the end result. I sure as hell don't know, but it's all within the realm possibility.
 
It was a motherboard issue that completely removed the boards from the market. Nobody was buying the CPU no matter how good the performance was because you could not buy a motherboard anywhere to put it in.

Nobody hmm..... Lmao :lol: that's when I bought mine... Then waited 2-3 weeks and got the mobo
 
Nobody hmm..... Lmao :lol: that's when I bought mine... Then waited 2-3 weeks and got the mobo

Having to wait 2-3 weeks to use a product isn't really what I'd consider an elegant launch. I'm not saying it's a BAD product; I'm one of those users who will buy a product if it's good rather than if it's a certain brand name, and all that really matters is if I have the right socket on my motherboard. I just think that Intel was equally ready to be faulted for mediocre first impressions.

AMD seems to be following the same pattern: their first pitch of the season was a miss, but if they can recover and hit a home run on the next try, they can be some serious competitors.
 
Last edited:
:lol: Have no idea why SB didnt have a impressive launch, was the fastest desktop cpu on its launch day. The only thing that came close was a 990x then it was about 50/50 but why pay $1000 when SB was $330 at the time. Pretty much won alot of people over unless a couple people on this thread or AMD fanboys (which is what i was...) :biggrin:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-2600k-990x_9.html#sect0

He's talking about the massive recall on P67 motherboards over a failing SATA controller on the chipset.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/246709,intel-announces-sandy-bridge-recall---epic-silicon-fail.aspx

Sandy Bridge as a platform got off to a rocky start earlier this year.

@reflex99, please tell me you went with the ASRock 990FX and not an ASUS Crosshair V. The bios on the ChV right now seems to hurt performance some.

there is no proof for this yet. Yea, one review got a better set of scores with the 990FX Fatal1ty Pro, but we have yet to see a trend.

Probably be getting the CHV anyways since it overclocks the best

I'll probably be getting a couple boards.

oooo ok, the motherboard issue, even then people were still buying the CPU due to its awesome performance....could bulldozer be good...maybe , we dont know right now....its just sad in my opinion that amd worked on this for a year plus only to be "as" good if not worse then Intels i7 2500k & 2600K series CPUs that came out in jan of this year.. to me amd made this huge hype about how it was going to be soooo fast...and its not... if this CPU came out at the beginning of the year...thats a different story

every major retailer pulled the CPUs during the recall too. It was near impossible to get SB from a reputable source for 3 months.

Hence, i was able to sell my 2600K+board at a profit :D

Having to wait 2-3 weeks to use a product isn't really what I'd consider an elegant launch. I'm not saying it's a BAD product; I'm one of those users who will buy a product if it's good rather than if it's a certain brand name, and all that really matters is if I have the right socket on my motherboard. I just think that Intel was equally ready to be faulted for mediocre first impressions.

AMD seems to be following the same pattern: their first pitch of the season was a miss, but if they can recover and hit a home run on the next try, they can be some serious competitors.

we'll see what happens. It is a RADICAL shift in architechture. It will have some growing pains, but i think eventually it will get a bit better.
 
every major retailer pulled the CPUs during the recall too. It was near impossible to get SB from a reputable source for 3 months.

Hence, i was able to sell my 2600K+board at a profit :D

thats false... i could always find a SB cpu (tigerdirect, newegg, etc) not the motherboard however
 
thats false... i could always find a SB cpu (tigerdirect, newegg, etc) not the motherboard however

I couldn't

are you in canada? Maybe newegg.ca had them? or china, newegg.cn?

newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com definetly did not have them throughout the recall.
 
I couldn't

are you in canada? Maybe newegg.ca had them? or china, newegg.cn?

newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com definetly did not have them throughout the recall.

nope live in west lafayette, in.....and they did have them both websites actually ...that's how i ordered mine
 
nope live in west lafayette, in.....and they did have them both websites actually ...that's how i ordered mine

i guess you caught them in a brief period where they sold them.

For the most part the chips were unavailable at the time of the recall.
 
It's very unfortunate that BD has performed so poorly. I've been waiting months and months for it. Guess I'll just go with the i5-2500k.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top