Verizon Forces Customers to Opt Out (If they Don't want to be Tracked)

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Verizon Forces Customers to Opt Out if They Don't Want to be Tracked
Jason Mick (Blog) - October 15, 2011 3:00 PM

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) has more subscribers than any other network in the U.S. It has more voice coverage than any other U.S. voice network. And it has more LTE coverage than any other network, covering roughly half of Americans with 4G.

But it's not all flowers and roses for Verizon subscribers. Verizon is generally the most expensive network to subscribe to. And now looking for a little something extra, it's rolled out a controversial provision that sure to irritate some subscribers.

The company updated its privacy policy this week. In the revised privacy section Verizon now informs subscribers that it will track their location at all times in the name of generating "certain business and marketing reports" and for "making mobile ads you see more relevant."

Fortunately there's an opt out. You can ditch the monitoring here.

The changes bring to mind Sony Corp.'s (TYO:6758) recent terms of service changes, which tried to ban customers from suing it for negligence or abuse (the Sony contract contained a similar opt out clause). Customers may not be happy about being opted in by default, but there's little they can do about it, particularly since the opt-out option weakens any legal claim they might have.

About the most powerful statement they could make would be to ditch Verizon for a cheaper carrier who doesn't track -- like Sprint Nextel Corp. (S). But of course, Verizon's coverage is unparalleled and for customers in some areas that just isn't a viable option.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=23010
 
I saw this elsewhere but didn't see the article. This is ridiculous especially since it's $200-300 or more to break your contract. Not to mention if you've got several people on the same plan you could pay well over a grand to break the contract. I'm probably going to get on our account later and opt out.
 
I saw this elsewhere but didn't see the article. This is ridiculous especially since it's $200-300 or more to break your contract. Not to mention if you've got several people on the same plan you could pay well over a grand to break the contract. I'm probably going to get on our account later and opt out.

$350 if you have a smartphone. I have a Droid X which after having it since end of April this year was a mistake. I should have gotten the iPhone 4 as the only other phone that the T2 Wireless a "Premium Verizon Retailer" had was the thunderbolt or w/e which was another 100.

Lucky me it's actually not that expensive. I have 450 min (barely use 100) unlimited text and data and with my 20% discount off my bill because of where I work I only pay about ~87 a month.

But this doesn't really bother me, I don't go dump bodies in the river XD I'll give me ads for Dillons, Hastings and Wal-Mart. Woo! Since I work at one, and shop at all 3. Lol.
 
@Celtic
you pay almost 90 a month for that kind of service? Man. I pay ~55 a month and I get unlimited everything and something like 5000 landline minutes. umad?
 
Who's your provider Phobus? I'm in the same boat as Celtic. Unlimited data; unlimited calls and txt with other Verizon users, 450 minutes a month. Roughly about $80/mo (after similar discount).

FYI: Coming Nov 20 I get a new smartphone (and I can finally smash my HTC Eris with a bat). Any suggestions? (No iPhone please or I will get your post deleted somehow)

P.S. I opted out as well. Took barely 20 secs. 15 of which was remembering my password.
 
Nothing to worry about for the time being, in the state of New York. There's no way to say right now if this gets left at the state level or if it continues to the Federal or which way it'll finally end up. All I can say is, I've never had much faith in any sort of politics.

Just so you know, that ruling merely means that the government can not have access to those records without a warrant. It does not stop Verizon (or any other private company they sell your info to) from tracking your every move.
 
@Celtic
you pay almost 90 a month for that kind of service? Man. I pay ~55 a month and I get unlimited everything and something like 5000 landline minutes. umad?

sprint blows...just sayin'

Mobile WiMax is a joke.

Just so you know, that ruling merely means that the government can not have access to those records without a warrant. It does not stop Verizon (or any other private company they sell your info to) from tracking your every move.

just opt out if you really care...
 
Who's your provider Phobus? I'm in the same boat as Celtic. Unlimited data; unlimited calls and txt with other Verizon users, 450 minutes a month. Roughly about $80/mo (after similar discount).

FYI: Coming Nov 20 I get a new smartphone (and I can finally smash my HTC Eris with a bat). Any suggestions? (No iPhone please or I will get your post deleted somehow)

P.S. I opted out as well. Took barely 20 secs. 15 of which was remembering my password.

Sprint. My phone doesn't have 4G, so I can't talk about 4G speeds but the other coverage is good.

sprint blows...just sayin'

Mobile WiMax is a joke.



just opt out if you really care...

I dunno, man. 55 a month for cell service that works pretty much everywhere I go is really nice. If I want fast internet on my phone, I'm usually at my house with WiFi. Plus my phone doesn't even have 4G, so that's a null point.
 
@Celtic
you pay almost 90 a month for that kind of service? Man. I pay ~55 a month and I get unlimited everything and something like 5000 landline minutes. umad?

Not really no. The only other service around here is Sprint and the basic pay as you go stuff. I've had Verizon for about 5 years now. Considering the people in my area mostly consist of Verizon users I can talk to them for free. I'm also awake during the night, not days, so I get unlimited minutes then too.

Also forgetting that each state have different taxes. I also have other things on my phone that I pay for. Insurance and something else that I can't remember :s (just got off work at 6am! woo!)

Like I said Sprint is in the area too, but they have shotty coverage here, where as I haven't found an area where I drop from 3G and full bars unless in a basement. Their customer service is great so I suppose I'm also paying for that as well. A number of months back I went over my minutes when I was dating this girl, they called me and asked why I went over. They ended up giving me an extra 900 minutes that would last for 3 months.. >_>

So am I mad? Nope :)

Though I could have jumped onto Sprint if I really wanted last April but Sprint lacks phones that I like. Only thing they had at the time was the HTC Evo and it was 100 more than my Droid X.
 
I won't deny that, up until recently they didn't have that great of a selection. But now they have a really nice selection. Galaxy S, S II, Photon 4G, HTC Evo 3D (if you like HTC phones), iPhone 4 & 4S. If they have good coverage in your area, there is no reason not to get them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top