Out Of Date Hardware Geek Needs Advice On New Build

glockcoma

Poster
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
169
Although I used to be a lot more active, I haven't kept up to date with the latest tech so some of I may of set up a suboptimal build. I would love advice on the components I've put together (what should I swap out etc). Thanks in advance for the advice. The budget is sub $1700

CPU - $219.99: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
MOTHERBOARD - $254.99: ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU FAN - $34.99: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
MEMORY - $94.99: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996981
PSU -$184.99: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
GPU - $264.99: MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
WIRELESS - $54.99: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme Desktop Adapter IEEE 802.11g/n PCI Express Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA, WPA2)
SSD HD - $279.99: Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HD - $64.99: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CASE - $169.99: Antec Lanboy air Yellow Black / Yellow ATX Mid Tower Computer Modular Case
CD/DVD - $18.99: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model
SATA CABLES (3X) - $13.47: OKGEAR 18" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Right Angle W/Metal Latch, Red, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps

TOTAL: $1,678.14
 
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo AM3+ 95W Quad-Core

ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Newegg Exclusive Black Finish w/Orange Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast
ATX Full Tower Computer Case


SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950

CD/DVD - $18.99: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA SSD

Don't know much on wireless cards or usb.

CPU FAN - $34.99: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply


Total : $1178.90 (with out the shipping cost included)
 
Last edited:
ddily, the system you just suggested is inferior to the one he has....

I don't recommend an FX-41xx for ANY gaming build right now.
 
It was a suggestion... I knew when I was constructing the list it was going to be inferior. In any case bulldozer is up for consideration.
 
U shouldnt need the Extra sata cables bc the mobo will come with a bunch.... Unless you plan on having mOre then 6 hdd's
 
Great looking components for the most part. Definitely stick with the 2500k as you have posted.

Ram wise, I would go cheaper with the normal 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.5 V which are all about $50 or you can pay a little more for extra low voltage 1.25 V 1600 with the same timings:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231461

HDD, go with the samsung spinpoint f3 1tb, best drive for price/performance.

GPU, I would personally get a 6950 2GB at the moment, though 560 ti is definitely not a bad choice with comparable performance.

Case is not my favorite, though that component is definitely personal preference.

You could also probably get a slightly cheaper motherboard with only 2 x16 slots instead of 3 (unless you need all 3). I have never bought asrock, but reviews seem to think they are priced nice, though the 2 year warranty makes me wary as it says to me that they do not stand behind their product. So if you plan to keep your comp for more than 2 years, consider going asus, gigabyte, or msi which are usually 3 years.

All in all, great choice of components so far only needing slight modification imo.
 
Things I would change:

Case I've never liked Antec's case offerings and the Lanboy is gimmicky and fugly in my opinion. The RV02 or 03 on the other hand have proven exceptional cooling and don't look like the back end of a rhino. If you want to splurge, the FT02 is a very good upgrade from the Raven with aluminum and sleeker looks.

PSU Even Crossfired 6950s with an OC'd 2500k won't pull more than 650W. Crossfired 6970s on the other hand would want 750W. I picked this specific one because the TX V2 line currently has the best performance you can get for a really good price.

Mobo ASRock has some great features for the price but I still think that board is freaking expensive. I personally would get this one because it's half the price and near as I can tell only has fewer USB slots. The only reason I can think of for getting the one you posted is if you want to Tri-fire some big cards and it doesn't look like that's what you're doing.

SSD Intel is notoriously expensive on their SSD line. They definitely have great performance and reliability, but so does the cheaper M4. Also, if you want to save more money on that the Sandforce controller finally got the firmware patch (hopefully) fixing the BSOD issues. They generally perform at the same speed as the M4 while being much cheaper (at least for now).

Those changes will save you money for either your pocket, or an upgrade in SSD/GPU if you're interested. Also, take Huck's advice on the HDD. It is the best price/performance HDD on the market. And get a better cooler. The CM212+ is great, but should be about $25. Hell, if you save some money with my suggestions, you've got enough leftover for some serious cooling.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top