Bricked MSI R6950!

Demoralized

Poster
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
222
For those of you running an MSI R6950 2 gb, do not, I repeat DO NOT attempt to flash it to a 6970. It will not work out in your favor. I attempted it last night and BRICK! I've done research and all the overclocker sites said it can be done with a high success rate, even showing screens of the unlocked shaders. However it is not 100% as I found out. So just a heads up if anyone has this card and was thinking about. Looks like I'm back to XFire 5770s til payday, then it's 6990 + new psu time.
 
I did, but I have found a few successful cases where a blind flash to the original bios works. Or add a working card with the bricked, disable bricked card before windows tries to load drivers and just reflash it. I'm gonna give it a shot sometime this week.
 
if its a reference card then move the bios switch back to 2... if its non reference you should have tried it... however you can put atiwinflash and all the other files that you need on abootable flash drive and flash it again from there...

this might help a little, people are talking about it here....if you want more info just let me know

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/1013246-bricked-my-6950-unable-reflash.html
just read through some of the pages
 
It is almost nearly impossible to brick a reference 6950..... If you messed up one bios, just use the other.

If you tried to flash a non-reference card, then you can probably just flash it back. use your 5770 to display video, while you flash the 6950 back to the backup of the bios you made from the 6950.

you did make a backup right?

please say yes....
 
Yes I made a backup, however I sold the 5770s, but I have an older card I can use tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't, video card shopping I go!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top