Video Card Recommend

Slash

Forum Fanatic
=(e)=
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
Messages
955
I'm looking into buying a new Video card, since my 8800gts crapped out on me!
(Using an old 6600gt)

I'd like to keep it under $300, something good! I've owned nothing but nVidia cards. So probably gonna stay with them!!!

Got my eyes on this one for the time being
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+...Card/3628108.p?id=1218421870828&skuId=3628108

Specs
Windows XP
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
3 gig DDR2 Ram
Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatallty Pro
 
Can you take a peak at the specific power supply you have? Model's great, if not if you know how to find out the wattage and amperage, please let us know. If you don't, still let us know so we can help you find it!

I'm going to be honest here about a couple of things:
1. Your system is ... a little dated.... and with all due respect, even a standard GTX 560 could be overkill and the rest of your system will bottleneck that card. The other issue is...
2. Best Buy is a terrible place to go for components (IMHO). They're alright when it comes to laptops and some other products, but you're much better off shopping online at NewEgg if online purchases are at all possible.

3. Their asking price for a GTX 560 2GB is $260. For twenty bucks more -- if you needed it for some reason, you can pick up the 2GB 560 Ti. I don't know if you already knew this or not, but the Ti is a pretty awesome boost in performance over the standard 560 (to my understanding, 560 by itself isn't much of a step-up from the 460 ... versus the 560 Ti, which has a substantial performance increase over the 460 ... or the 560 for that matter). Other things to consider are that the GTX 560 overclocks better than the 560 Ti but I don't know if overclocking is all that important to you? ;o

4. If you can tell us what kind of power supply you have like I mentioned above, we can find you a great card to fit your budget, your case, and the rest of your setup. You could probably save a lot of cash and just pick up, say, a GTX 460? Still EVGA, still nVidia, and it'll save you a lot of cash. lol
 
I had about the same exact thing happening.

After mad research, I found out what Runo is talking about exactly.

I'm just waiting until i can re-build all together...
 
Can you take a peak at the specific power supply you have? Model's great, if not if you know how to find out the wattage and amperage, please let us know. If you don't, still let us know so we can help you find it!

Rocketfish mdl# rf-700w PS 10a


1. Your system is ... a little dated.... and with all due respect, even a standard GTX 560 could be overkill and the rest of your system will bottleneck that card. The other issue is...
I know its a lil dated, had it for lil over 6 years I think, cept for the card that just went out.

I didn't think about it bottlenecking, thanks for the info!

2. Best Buy is a terrible place to go for components (IMHO). They're alright when it comes to laptops and some other products, but you're much better off shopping online at NewEgg if online purchases are at all possible.

I was just price shopping. I only buy games and other electronics there.

3. Their asking price for a GTX 560 2GB is $260. For twenty bucks more -- if you needed it for some reason, you can pick up the 2GB 560 Ti. I don't know if you already knew this or not, but the Ti is a pretty awesome boost in performance over the standard 560 (to my understanding, 560 by itself isn't much of a step-up from the 460 ... versus the 560 Ti, which has a substantial performance increase over the 460 ... or the 560 for that matter). Other things to consider are that the GTX 560 overclocks better than the 560 Ti but I don't know if overclocking is all that important to you? ;o

That's the reason for me posting, didn't know what the major differences were. I didnt know how much better the Ti was. Definately worth the extra $20

4. If you can tell us what kind of power supply you have like I mentioned above, we can find you a great card to fit your budget, your case, and the rest of your setup. You could probably save a lot of cash and just pick up, say, a GTX 460? Still EVGA, still nVidia, and it'll save you a lot of cash. lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846

It puts you pretty close to budget, but you'll get a considerably better amount of performance with that CPU. Also, your motherboard should be able to support AM3.

Trying to find the info on my motherboard.

Thanks for the links. Nice upgrade for bout the same price I was going to spend.

I had about the same exact thing happening.

After mad research, I found out what Runo is talking about exactly.

I'm just waiting until i can re-build all together...


I want to build a new system, but was trying to wait till after Xmas. Weighing my options and taking the tips and info you guys gave and considering on what I want to do.

Only play TF2 for the moment. Need to upgrade OS in order to play bf3.

Decisions,decisions,decisions....

Thanks Gents!!!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top