What can I do with this?

IDigitalDeadI

EGO Addict
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,316
welp, I didn't get a video card for black friday, so I thought i'll wait until Christmas, since I'm getting $100 from my mom. I was going to get a case with that, but now I'm not so sure.

Any recommendations for a video card + case for $200?

Note: I might have a bit more, but $200 is the guaranteed baseline minimum :)
 
Depending on what case you have now and your current setup, you might want to forget getting a new case if you can skip out on that and grab a GTX 560 Ti 1GB -- you can get those for about $200 pre-rebate when they're on sale, and Cyber Monday will likely see at least SOME variant of it for a good discount.

Of course it might be a bottle neck (again, depending on your specs). I don't know that $200 is enough to get both a case and a GTX 460 1GB, but it's something you could certainly look into.
 
Its an interesting challenge, but most likely I'll have something along the lines of $225-$250 range, if that helps
 
ugh I don't feel like typing it out >_>
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 920
Ram: 4gb DDR-2 (667 I believe)
Hard Drive: 2 old 300gb's, 5300 rpm I believe (dem load times)
Video Card: EVGA 8800gt 1gb (still works well :))
Case: Uhh some low end Antec case, bought it years ago for cheap

Not the best setup, but for building without a source of income, its pretty good. It gets me by on most games, but I its obvious where the major flaws lie.
 
I'd mount your stuff to a piece of wood and drop all $200 on the video card.
 
I have a 460.. I can run bf3 on medium with out much of a hiccup :D
 
wood costs too much

just use the motherboard box:
img20111127221640.jpg


liekabauss
 
lol I still have my motherboard box and I think I do have wood around here somewhere. Can't believe I seriously thought about it for a second. If I were to hold out on the case, what kind of video card could I get in the $200 range? Even though I might have more, I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks here and there.
 
ugh I don't feel like typing it out >_>
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 920
Ram: 4gb DDR-2 (667 I believe)
Hard Drive: 2 old 300gb's, 5300 rpm I believe (dem load times)
Video Card: EVGA 8800gt 1gb (still works well :))
Case: Uhh some low end Antec case, bought it years ago for cheap

Not the best setup, but for building without a source of income, its pretty good. It gets me by on most games, but I its obvious where the major flaws lie.

I don't you'll need a case unless it MicroITX which I doubt it is, measure the amount of room inside and look for the length of the card you're buying.

I have a 460.. I can run bf3 on medium with out much of a hiccup :D

I run bf3 on High on a 1920x1200 :O but then my max FPS is around 50 and my GPU is oc'd like hell :)

lol I still have my motherboard box and I think I do have wood around here somewhere. Can't believe I seriously thought about it for a second. If I were to hold out on the case, what kind of video card could I get in the $200 range? Even though I might have more, I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks here and there.

A bit sketchy if you have lots of traffic around the computer, but if it's in a corner where no one even comes close to it then I say that's the way to go:laugh:
 
I don't you'll need a case unless it MicroITX which I doubt it is, measure the amount of room inside and look for the length of the card you're buying.

Its not the card that's the problem, I know it will fit if this huge 8800gt can, its just that my cabling for my power supply. I have a Raidmax RX-630A, and there just happens to be plastic layering around the cables. Basically, the cables don't flex too well and its taking up all the space lol :cursing:

I need a case big enough so I can place my cabling somewhere without it touching everything else
 
if you do some serious hunting you can find either GTX 560Ti or Radeon 6950 for about $200
 
I have this one,

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5222598

It fits a GTX 275 just fine, and it's 10.5 inches (a good 2 inches to spare, so a 5970 would probably fit and it doesn't get much bigger than that card) which is still standard size for most cards. It's considerably bigger than an 8800gt. I had one before this card and couldn't believe the difference.

The whole case has grommets everywhere for cable management. The only ones you can see in mine are poking through the back of the motherboard tray to be plugged in. Also, the hard drive goes in backwards so it helps hide the cables too.
 
Its not the card that's the problem, I know it will fit if this huge 8800gt can, its just that my cabling for my power supply. I have a Raidmax RX-630A, and there just happens to be plastic layering around the cables. Basically, the cables don't flex too well and its taking up all the space lol :cursing:

I need a case big enough so I can place my cabling somewhere without it touching everything else

If that's the case go for the 912! SUCH AN AMAZING BANG FOR THE BUCK CASE! I mean i don't really like the design(i'm more of a plain case person) but for the airflow,the cable management, the fact that it can fit a 6990, i think it's the best purchase I made when it comes to price aside from my 150$ 460 when it was new :)
 
Ditch the case and do a fishtank in oil...
Then I wouldn't be able to upgrade it :(

If that's the case go for the 912! SUCH AN AMAZING BANG FOR THE BUCK CASE! I mean i don't really like the design(i'm more of a plain case person) but for the airflow,the cable management, the fact that it can fit a 6990, i think it's the best purchase I made when it comes to price aside from my 150$ 460 when it was new :)

The 912 does look very good and for the price I wonder why I didn't see it earlier. With that being said, I will most likely use it as a case. All there is left to do is find a decent video card in the $190-200 range, which shouldn't be hard :)
 
yea you could

anything past a C2D+8600GT, you might want an external rad though.

Puget sells a fishtank kit.
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Back
Top