First Time Build Custom PC Help

m3rryg0r0und

Active Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
297
This holiday season I am going to be helping my girlfriend get a custom gaming pc, and I have picked out some parts that I think may be good. She is just going to be getting into PC gaming, but she does a lot of drawing and art on the computer. I was wondering if I can get some experienced PC builder's opinions.
We already have an OS ready so that is not needed in the purchase.

Our budget is ~$1000 but trying to keep it close to our just under that.

Current total (before tax) is: ~$976

GFX Card
MSI N550GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127577

CD ROM
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Box Set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.755265
Tower
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Powersupply

Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Harddrive
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor
SAMSUNG S23A350H ToC Rose Black 23" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01483&cm_sp=Cat_Monitors-_-Deals-_-24-001-483
 
1. that card might have some troubles pushing games @ 1080p. I would look for something a little bit more powerful like a 560. Or just get a 460, my 460 runs my games @1200p but its overclocked to death.

2. Since you're getting the 2500k with a proper board, I'm assuming you will be doing some overclocking? Because if you're not, that board and that cpu is not necessary for some gaming without overclocking.
 
Buy the stuff one by one. If you noticed the hard drive that is in there, it is over 100$ and you can get a 1tb for 70 so you can save money there, which would actually be more than the package says. Everything else is nice except your card, you could probably get a better one for a little extra $ if you have it. But I'd wait until someone like reflex comes on to help you out :P
 
I am not sure how much gaming she will be doing with this pc, as I know right now she plays a lot of PS3 gaming. Not sure how she will transfer over so maybe I should tone down some of the parts because I doubt there will be overclocking.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top