Google's Done It: Chrome Passes Firefox

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Google's Done It: Chrome Passes Firefox in Market Share
12:30 AM - December 2, 2011 by Wolfgang Gruener -
source: StatCounter

Google has surpassed Mozilla in browser share, according to StatCounter. Chrome jumped to 25.69 percent in November, while Firefox dropped to 25.23 percent. Microsoft's IE gained slightly and ended up at 40.63 percent.

Zoom

The result published by the Internet analysis firm matches the previous low in StatCounter's charts, which began recording browser data in July of 2008. Back in December of 2008, Firefox was at 25.23 percent and climbed to a high of 32.21 percent in November of 2009. The browser has been declining ever since then and lost more than 20 percent of its market share (5.14 points) over the past 12 months alone.

Google, on the other hand, was able to grow Chrome's market share by 10.84 points over the past 12 months. However, the growth posted in November was the slowest rate (2.76 percent or 0.69 points) in three years. Microsoft was able to halt IE's decline due to an advertising campaign that was launched last month across the Internet. However, if IE continues its average decline (6.31 points over the past 12 months, Chrome will be able to catch up by the third or fourth quarter next year.

StatCounter isn't the only source; NetApplications still sees Firefox ahead of Chrome in market share. Firefox is listed with 22.1 percent, followed by Chrome with 18.2 percent. IE leads with 52.6 percent. The trend in NetApplications data suggests that Chrome can surpass Firefox in their charts by March or April 2012.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/chrome-firefox-internet-explorer-browser,14147.html

I've made the switch from Firefox to Chrome a couple of months ago. The plugin-container process kept pissing me off (all those flash ads), and I kept manually closing it so I could even use the webpage. See what happens when you close it while looking at our own clan's forums. You will receive the "Adobe Flash plugin has crashed" where there were once ads.
 
I'm glad this has happened! I've been a Chrome user since it's beta, granted I still used Firefox when a problem arose with Chrome. Just the user-friendliness of the browser really appealed to me. No clutter, easy tabbing, awesome plug-ins, and unique look to it really is what grabs users attention.

Google also has another thing going for them, which I can guarantee helped with this achievement. Their new investment into smartphone's allows them to implement the browser into the phone. Apple did this with Safari and when their phones launched, Safari jumped in usage. I really like Google; They are a smart organization who really listen to the consumers.

They also partnered with Samsung and started a line of notebooks that I believe will compete with Apple.

http://www.google.com/chromebook/bu...=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bkws&utm_medium=ha

Even with the launch of the Chromebook, we all know what the default browser will be.

Kudos to them!
 
I mostly use Firefox as Ad-Block Plus works much more effectively there as opposed to the Chrome version (I literally haven't seen an ad in years). I'll bust out Chrome when I'm playing Pandora or using Battlelog, though.
 
I had a picture which described my point of view on browsers perfectly. Seem to have lost it though :(
 

Latest posts

Back
Top