Computer Resetting on its own.

Cigarjohn

EGO Zealot
=(eGO)=
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
1,610
I have a question. Lately, my computer has been resetting on its own. Sometimes after an hour and sometimes after 3 or 4 hours. Don't know why its doing that.


Any suggestions?

I'm using Windows 7 64bit. My processor is reading 70(F).
 
But its brand new? I removed a program; Norton Ghost 15 and so far no problems. Will see if it was the program. The power supplies voltages seem to be right on.
 
I've had this problem before on my old machine..really irritating too.

If I recall correctly, I believe what Predator said, the psu, or some other hardware in your computer may be going bad, if not already faulty.
 
Hello Cigarjohn,

Can you add some details of your rig, changed anything?? Also what are you doing when it resets on its own playing a game, encoding decoding?
Last question are you sure the temp is Fahrenheit? 70 ?F is 21 ?C in my rig only thing that runs that cool are my hard-drives.
 
Last edited:
PSU, or, strangely, check your system battery.

70 is kinda, umm, warm on the processor. Can you crank up the fan speeds on the cooler? If it's stock I'd replace it in a heartbeat.
 
If its not he PSU, it may be a virus. Run some virus checks with a different scan. Also, check for malware.
 
PSU, or, strangely, check your system battery.

70 is kinda, umm, warm on the processor. Can you crank up the fan speeds on the cooler? If it's stock I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

100% agree with the heat, When the battery goes, the computer is DEAD

If that is 70 ?C that is hot for most CPU's unless its like a Intel Core 2 Extreme they can go up to 100 ?C . Here is a helpfull link : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Maximum-CPU-Temperature/143/5

I use a AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.792GHz /w CoolIt Domino A.L.C runs max 48 ?C encoding pushing all 4 cores at 95% + for hours.

I assume you have a decent anti-virus program. If you need a good free anti-malware program here is a link: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
 
Last edited:
I talked with Microsoft today and my Windows 7 is still under warranty until February.

Microsoft made me download a free software program that has helped us out a lot. It was called WhoCrashed (Home Edition) v 3.03. Like I said its free. Each time you have a system crash or blue screen, run this program and it will log and tell you what is the problem. Whether its a software or hardware related problem.

So, as working with Microsoft, we found out that it was a software problem and that I had to re-download Windows 7. After doing so, if I should have another crash or blue screen, I will need to wipe my OS drive and reinstall Win 7 again. If it happens again after that, then it might be a hard drive problem, in which I will swap drives and reinstall it again. And if the problem persists, then I'll have to test the power supply. I hope it doesn't come to that.

So far, it may be a corrupted file on my Windows Disc.

I'll keep you all posted.

I just reinstalled Win 7 64. So far, so good.

Thank you all for your advice.

Peace.
 
Hello,

I really hope its just a software issue. I spent a few hours on Microsoft's site today looking into if 7 had bugs like that, A few reported similar issues when they upgraded from vista, it would restart then BSOD. :facewall: Very happy you still have some coverage. your not in the boat with us custom builders :)
 
Hello,

I really hope its just a software issue. I spent a few hours on Microsoft's site today looking into if 7 had bugs like that, A few reported similar issues when they upgraded from vista, it would restart then BSOD. :facewall: Very happy you still have some coverage. your not in the boat with us custom builders :)



No, I'm not in the boat yet. But this was my first system build and I'm sure I'll soon be joing all of you in the boat as time goes on. So move over and make room for me. :facewall:

Peace and thanks for all your support and advice.
 
Well I finally found out why my computer was crashing and resetting on it's own.

1) My two different Logitech drivers were fighting each other and causing system instability.

2) My 24 pin power connector cable was being stretched at an angle pulling out some of the pins on the female connector causing a kernel power event 41 error. After adjusting the 24 pin cable and putting it in a neutral position with no stress on the female plug, the kernel power failure warnings disappeared. Thank GOD, I thought my new PSU was at fault.

Lately I have been having problems with my USB 3.0 ports being undetected. Found out that reinstalling windows was a waste of time and didn't solve the problem.

However, clearing the cmos did fix the problem and it only takes a few minutes to readjust my computer settings in my EFI BIOS.

Anyway, thanks all for your help and support.

As more problems arise; and I know they will, I'll be sure to post them here to get more repair suggestions from you.

Peace to all and happy gaming.
 
Cool Cool.. very happy you got it working

Its very hard to fix a pc when you cant put your hands on it.. I know I learned a lesson =)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top