Net disconnect/reconnect

acefisher1

Thread Thumper
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
1,026
So I'm having an issue where every 3-5 minutes my internet drops and reconnects. Basically what I would call a hiccup. It's extremely frustrating however, because many games don't allow for these hiccups and immediately disconnect you.

I've tried the basic stuff like a flush and restarting and all that, as well as re-configuring the network from the ground up. No luck. It could possibly be the modem, but it's hard to tell.

Any ideas on correcting this?

I'm using a one month old cable modem from my awful internet provider, and a Linksys (cisco) E1200 router.
 
acefisher,

Go to Linksys' router support page HERE and follow these instructions.

Click the Downloads tab
Select Hardware Version 1.0
Click the Download link dated 10/21/2011, Ver.1.0.02 (Build 5)
For instructions on installing, see below the download link for upgrade instructions

Usually problems with the router or modem are caused by outdated firmware. I've had this problem happen with my old walmart router which became extremely annoying. Updating the firmware worked for me, but I eventually bought a beefy Netgear. (food for thought)

Anyway, hope this helps.
 
unfortunateliy it's already up to date. They did start including some fairly nice software with these that actually work properly, setting things up, and updating them.
 
When you "drop" is it a full disconnect or just losing the internet?

Check the Network Icon (activate it if it's not up on the taskbar). If it's a full disconnect, might be a faulty modem or ethernet card. Update your drivers, see what happens.

If it's just the internet, it's more likely it's Cox.
 
It's just the internet. I don't lose connection to the network ever really.
 
Hmm..I'd definitely try contacting CC (Cox Comm). I've had issues like what you're dealing with several times in the past with Qwest/CenturyLink, and just contacted them via Customer support chat (or Live chat), and they sent me a new modem, free of charge. When it happened a 2nd time, they actually sent a technician.

3rd Times' the charm(ish), they send another modem, still free of charge, and haven't had any problems with it so far.
 
Contacting CC via live chat now, we'll see how this goes.

Ok, contacted them. They "sent a signal" that is supposedly going to fix the issue... anyone have any idea what this means? As far as I can tell they just yelled "FUS-RO-DAH" at my modem and that's supposed to fix it... we'll see.

Here's the chat for anyone else's reference with the issue later on.

Thank you for all the information you have provided me. This will take me a moment while I look up your account information.
Seldon S.: Thank you for waiting. Are you using a router?
Dan: yes
Seldon S.: In this case, please bypass the router and connect the modem directly to the computer to see if the connectivity works better.
Dan: Can't happen due to the arrangement of our apartment. Also, the connection is never lost to the wireless network, only the connection to the internet
Seldon S.: I see. Okay. I am going to send a signal to your modem. The contact might be lost, but after this, the connectivity should work better. If not, please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance regarding this matter.
 
Last edited:
In layman terms (AKA Long-story-short): Test your connection. Play a game or two and see if it keeps disconnecting like it use to.
 
In layman terms (AKA Long-story-short): Test your connection. Play a game or two and see if it keeps disconnecting like it use to.

Tested this on 3 games, and still getting the same issue, albeit, slightly more delayed disconnects than average. It does appear the fus-ro-dah worked a tiny bit. Now to talk to them again...
 
Be sure to tell them of the changes (IE Longer delay between disconnects, etc). ;)
 
Might have to get a new modem from them. I would actually go buy a modem if you are currently leasing... save you money.
 
Might have to get a new modem from them. I would actually go buy a modem if you are currently leasing... save you money.

We bought the modem from them... a pretty expensive one at that. Not very happy about this. Also, they're online chat suddenly stopped working now.
 
Well I'm still having issues. I contacted them again, they made me use their online chat help... which took over an hour due to constant disconnects (the initial issue), and every reset made me close the browser entirely and start over in the queue.

They did the same thing with a signal to refresh the connection, which apparently was weak. They said I need to contact them to do this every 2-3 days at most to continue having a usable signal.

Any ideas to make them fix the problem or how to correct it myself, aside from screaming at them?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top