Under what circumstances?
Currently DirectX has greater market penetration, and fwiw, is a "standard".
If I could start from scratch, and rebuild the entire operating system market. I would for sure choose non-proprietary standards. Sadly, such is not the case.
I see OpenGL/CL/anything Khronos Group becoming much more popular in the next 5 years. Android is gaining fast, soon tablets will be the main computer that people use. Guess what? Neither iOS nor Android use DirectX. For directX to survive, there are a couple things that would have to happen.
1. Windows 8 on ARM would need to work, and work well. I honestly don't see it happening, if we look at what happened last time M$ made a major architectural change (XP x64/Vista x64).
2. Windows 8 would need to be something that consumers want. Currently if you ask random people on the street, it is likely that you will get something like 90% of them wanting Apple products. Guess what, apple doesn't support DirectX
3. Microsoft would need to license DirectX to Google/Apple/etc. I don't see this happening either since it would effectively kill the only reason most people are tied to windows for games.
TL

R; it was a nice ride, but M$, you cannot make a mobile OS to save your life.
On the Compute side, OpenCL has far more support than DirectCompute. So M$ has kinda already lost there. Again, too little too late.