SDD set up and product suggestion

Naku_vamp

EGO Zealot
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
1,492
Long story short i got a nasty virus that i removed manually but it seems to have done damage that i dunno how to fully repair, and im gonna take the lazy way out and just do a fresh install of windows and start over, My pc still works but its not 100% right and i want an SSD so i figured i nows as good a time as any because i want my windows on the SSD so id have to format anyway

I have two 640gb hard drives as it is now, Iv never set up a SSD before so is there anything different i need to do?

Id like to have the SSD set up as my main drive and have my 640's running in Mirror raid for storage, how exactly do i do this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

that is my motherboard to cover any potential compatibility issues with what i want to do

also since i don't know a whole lot about SSD drives id like at LEAST 120gb size and something that's fast and reliable and price range of 120-200 bucks
 
Couple of tips/steps when you do an SSD. And I just had to do this over the past weekend.

1) If you're going to run the OS on the SSD (Yes), you need to first update the firmware on it. To do so, the easiest method is to connect it to an existing PC over the SATA connection. Download the firmware update from the manufacturer, and install. The more pain in the rear method, for when you don't have such a PC accessible to you, you will need to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and use a USB drive or CD.

2) After updating the firmware, you're ALMOST ready to install the OS on the SSD. Almost? Yes, almost. When you boot up the computer to install the OS, you need to first go to the Bios (DEL, DEL, DEL, DEL, DEL, Yay! It's going to the Bios). You need to change the settings for the drive so it's set for AHCI mode instead of IDE. Reason is because you want NCQ: Native Command Queuing. SSD's lifetime is based on the number of processes it does, and not the usual 5-7 yrs that regular hard drives have adopted. With NCQ, you prolong the SSD's life expectancy so it doesn't do an erase-write sequence, instead just writing right over previous information that's not needed (if I understand it correctly, and someone will clarify).

3) Now that you have updated the firmware and changed the BIOS for AHCI mode, you're ready to install Windows. Which is just putting the disc in, follow the instructions, and you're done.

Now I'll let someone else take care of the RAID mode process, as I don't have any personal experience on that.
 
This is what I did.

1) Save anything you don't want deleted.

2) Boot from CD-ROM, DELETE you're HDD.

3) Install the SSD to the appropriate SATA port

4) Install windows to SSD

5) Configure your two HDD.
Do this by Start--->type: Disk Management. Find your drives.

Suggested SSD's:

Intel 510's

or

Crucial M4 SSD (This is what I have. Crazy FAST)
 
Last edited:
Well, raid setup is not really my business, but far as I know you're looking for a RAID 0 setup on your HDDs. Try googling it.

Follow snipeye's instructions on installing an SSD and you're all set.

Personally I'd recommend this SSD, as a lot of people I know have a positive experience with it, not to mention high R/W speeds.

As for the Intel SSDs, they (like the CPUs) are expensive.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top