New Processor?

Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Messages
159
So, I haz an AMD X4 965 BE overclocked to 4.1 ghz. I have seen the 980 BE overclocked to 4.36 ghz simply on air. I have liquid cooling and was wondering what you guys thought about getting that processor. I think I can pump the OC even higher than 4.36 with liquid cooling. My temps are sitting idle at 34-35 C and about 54-55 C on full load. Would it just be a waste of time, or since I have 180 bucks to throw around should i upgrade to it? Thoughts? :confused1:
 
1090T would fit your budget.

the two extra cores would be a lot more beneficial than the slightly higher clocks that the 980 would give you.

Also E0 stepping chips (Thuban) generally overclock well at >ambient temps than Deneb, so assuming you get a somewhat decent chip, 4.4GHz should be reasonable on water.
 
1090T would fit your budget.

the two extra cores would be a lot more beneficial than the slightly higher clocks that the 980 would give you.

Also E0 stepping chips (Thuban) generally overclock well at >ambient temps than Deneb, so assuming you get a somewhat decent chip, 4.4GHz should be reasonable on water.
Ok yeah, thanks for the tip. And what was up with those bulldozer processor? Talk about an utter fail. I mean I read that they were supposed to be increasing each cores performance by 25% each year coming, but they were talking as if it would compete with the i7 right of the bat. Media build-up or AMD fail?
 
oooooo bulldozer vs 2500k/2600k :lol: ... anyway just keep in mind that the max temp for amd chips are around 62*c
 
Intel wins most every race hands down . . . except price / performance.

1090t is cheaper then the Intel and the performance hit is negligible.

Bulldozer isn't worth it right now, wait till Q3 2012 and Piledriver and perhaps the massive performance fixes they promised.
 
oooooo bulldozer vs 2500k/2600k :lol: ... anyway just keep in mind that the max temp for amd chips are around 62*c

Yeah, I've OCed my 965 BE to 4.1 ghz and its sitting at 54-55c under load. I'm comfortable with that, although it says my Tjmax for this processor is 70 C. Why is that? Does that mean I can bump it past 62 without any issues? Frost, that's what I was thinking too, apparently over the next few years there are supposed to be major performance increases with the bulldozer. I might even wait until 2013 for steamroller:drool:
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I've OCed my 965 BE to 4.1 ghz and its sitting at 54-55c under load. I'm comfortable with that, although it says my Tjmax for this processor is 70 C. Why is that? Does that mean I can bump it past 62 without any issues? Frost, that's what I was thinking too, apparently over the next few years there are supposed to be major performance increases with the bulldozer. I might even wait until 2013 for steamroller:drool:

i said 62*c its actually 65*c for your chip, going to and or past "could" shorten the life of the chip. but normally when they mean shortening life of the chip its like taking 2-5 years off of its lifespan, voltage depending also... but if your anything like me you dont keep a chip for more than a year or 2..so overclock the s#!t outta that thing :thumbup:
 

Latest posts

Back
Top