Comp

tucknrole

Thread Junky
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
781
No, this has nothing to do with competition, so those who were expecting another thread consisting of that nonsensical talkage, sorry to disappoint...

Second, a big congratulations to those who were promoted. Well deserved.

Third, and lastly, to the topic: computer is literally fried. My computer has been on the fritz the past few weeks, which is mainly my excuse for not being on DoD. It's recently been shutting off after about an hour or so of gameplay, randomly, and come to find out it had o do with my power supply. Sadly, since I'm not sure what else may have been damaged, I took it in to best buy to get it serviced (diagnostics mainly..I don't trust them tinkering with my baby..), and knowing their timely scheduled maintenance, and with their quoted time frame of 2-4 weeks, I should be up and running in about 6-8 weeks...thankfully iPhones can access the website :glare: Anyways, just a heads up..hope all had good holidays, for those who celebrate, and I wish you all a Happy New Year. See you again in 2012! Hopefully sooner rather than later :facewall:
 
Hope to see you back soon! I just fixed a problem with my internet. It seems the old Linksys router decided to intermittently slow down/fail. I just picked up a shiny new Wireless N router and it seems to have done the trick. Sorry your problem is worse...
 
This also happened to me. But I scanned it with my antivirus, and it said I had a trojan virus. So I reformatted everything and did a fresh windows install.

Wala

Good as new.
 
I would take that ino consideration, except I'm pretty sure it's the PSU..I don't think I've seen any Trojan that will make your computer shoot a ball of sparks out the side when it's just been manually shut off :p but then again, those annoying hackers continually surprise...
 
Enjoy your vacation from gaming. We need those from time to time even if we don't want them. See you when you get back.
 
Update

And it's quite a doozy...

So, got a call from Best Buy today with an update on my computer and what was wrong with it. First, was told that my graphics card is fried. So there's that. Second, I get told that my CPU is also busted, and my heatsink has also popped off. Third, I'm told that pins on my motherboard are bent and/or broken off. To add to that, apparently my motherboard itself has somehow been bent (wtf?), and has been unlatched. Fourth, PSU is shot (no kidding), and has also been switched to the euro 230w setting instead of the 120. On top of all of that, when the case was opened by their tech crew, they found a baggie of HDD screws inside the unit. Go figure, right?

Now it gets interesting. Best Buy claims to have not tampered with the computer before sending it. And of course that isn't true because any good associate before sending it off for a complete check up would do a little quick sweep of the unit to see if the problem isn't something simple. They do that in front of the customer. They did it with me. There's lie one. Lie two, tech said best buy did not install any aftermarket parts, including the graphics card and power supply they installed for us, which is in their notes, as well as on our receipt.

Now for the fun part: they aren't covering anything. No warranty upheld, even with that insanely expensive (near $400) additional coverage plan. No promise to replace any damaged goods by either their tech or their dumb*** associates screwing with the computer before it left the store.

So I will be off for quite some time while this situation swiftly rectifies itself. And You can be sure I will be getting a working computer of equal or BETTER quality at no charge. This is unacceptable.

Congrats to Sumac on your award. You earned it. Happy belated Birthday to Megs. And to anyone else I have missed, congrats and/or happy birthday. See y'all again eventually...

Oh, and Go Ducks. Rose Bowl champs. Booyah.
 
Last edited:
Man that sucks. Hope it gets fixed soon. Mine's been messed up as well. Don't worry, you're not alone with computer problems :P
 
That does indeed suck. Which is why I build my own buying only from newegg most of the time. I don't trust best buy at all. I did quite some time back buy a gigabyte mobo at microcenter and paid the 35 dollar extended warranty. I basically broke the board when installing all of the components in it, took it back, and they didn't even look at it. Just gave me a new one. You need to get back soon so I can pwn you as usual..............
 
This reminds me of when my brother got a laptop from Argos, and the case started cracking a bit so he took it back to get it repaired under the warranty. They told him they couldn't because it looked like it had been thrown about. When my brother went to see it, it was in pieces! Only difference was, Argos actually paid for a new laptop of the same price and as this was a couple years after he got it that meant he got an upgrade.

Hope this all gets rectified as soon as possible.
 
I've had the same problem way back in the beta days..hope you get it fixed soon..
 
Last edited:
tucknrole, it's a shame you don't live near me in central Va. because I would have had ur comp up & running by now and cause all that BS with your comp was most likely caused by them newb wannabe's at geek-squad.
 
A-men, DBad. After looking at the computer in person, most of the non-refundable damage to the computer's CPU looks to be done during transit and during the process of disassembly for inspection. They're trying to point fingers at me, claiming the damage done is my fault for putting in a single stick of DDR3. Yeah, I'm gonna let that sink in. Single stick, In an open slot. And that somehow managed to pop off my heatsink, and bend the pins on my CPU in all directions possible. They didn't have an explanation for the baggy of HDD screws floating around my case though, which I pressed them hard on. Because that was another huge factor in the "nope, not gonna pay!" statements they are sticking to. And since their esteemed crew were the only people to touch the HDDs, that little beauty of a blunder is all theirs. Which they stuttered about trying to make an excuse for, and failed miserably. Conveniently, the manager went on vacation the day after our conversation and won't be back until sometime next week, which is when we'll be getting a call about what BS they conjured up in the meantime. So, I'm still without a computer, and I'm still without answers. Yaaaaay. :mellow: :facewall:
 
UPDATE

As stated in the first post, I am getting my computer back. Fully repaired, with brand new components, free of charge. Should be back up and running, so long as my data hasn't been corrupted or my HDDs weren't compromised. Should be back online in about 2-3 weeks.
 
UPDATE

As stated in the first post, I am getting my computer back. Fully repaired, with brand new components, free of charge. Should be back up and running, so long as my data hasn't been corrupted or my HDDs weren't compromised. Should be back online in about 2-3 weeks.

hahaha You pulled the Sue card. That always works. Gets those jerks to actually do their job hahaha
 

Latest posts

Back
Top