Report: Microsoft Killing Off Microsoft Points by Year's End

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Report: Microsoft Killing Off Microsoft Points by Year's End
2:00 PM - January 24, 2012 by Jane McEntegart - source: Inside Mobile Apps

Word on the street says the days of dealing in Microsoft Points are nearly at an end.

Microsoft Points are apparently on the way out. According to an exclusive report over on Into Mobile Apps, Redmond is going to ditch Microsoft Points program this year. Into Mobile Apps cites an unnamed source in reporting the information and claims that by the end of the year all transactions on the Xbox will be switched to regular currencies. Players will spend money based on the currency in their country of residence and those with Microsoft Points left at the time of the switch will be given money for their points.

Of course, ditching the Microsoft Points system will make it easier for folks to shop, especially since it could also mean the end of the $5 spending limit. Previously, users had to buy Microsoft Points in $5 chunks of 400. However, with the new system, Microsoft would (we assume) get rid of this limit, meaning you no longer have to fork out $5 just to get the extra 200 points you need to purchase something. However, Redmond could just as easily keep the limit in place, insisting that users pre-load their accounts with money and insisting on a $5 minimum.

Into Mobile Apps reports that while Microsoft has refused to comment on the news, mobile devs that have publishing agreements with Microsoft have apparently been warned to plan upcoming DLCs and in-app purchases in accordance with the change.

Do you like Microsoft Points or will you be happy to see them go? Voice your opinions in the comments below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Points-xbox-live-mspoints-real-money,14547.html
 
Oh thank god. I normally buy time cards and points, since I don't normally play my xbox too often, and when I bought games on xbla, I would have to spend extra money for a few points, then i'm left with extra. I never wanted to charge credit/debit, because I would have had to spend extra for a few points as well. Finally I can get my stuff on xbla without issues....hopefully
 

Latest posts

Back
Top