New Computer Time (Need Help)

Christy

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
4,213
Ok, so getting a decent tax return, wife is letting me spend up to $1000 on it. I havnt built a computer since the one I have now which was a few years ago.

Basically im asking for help if someone would like to build me a PC and post it here with links to the items under that price. I just dont know whats good any more.

Need just the main stuff. Drives, Proc, Mobo, Ram, Video Card, Case (Preferrably a non led one, dont want it lighting up my whole place since it stays on all the time), Power Supply. Think thats about it. Just one main Drive for OS and Games. I have additional ones ill throw in as well as an external for storage and stuff.

Current system if curious

AMD Phenom II X4 940
GeForce GTX 260
4 Gigs Ram
2 74 Gig Raptors in Raid



Thanks for your future help, it will be MUCH appreciated!
 
Last edited:
well AMD just unveiled the first card in their 7000 series and the nvidia gtx600 series is supposed to come out this quarter i think. Intel's Ivy bridge is also supposed to come out in April as of now.
wat psu do u hve?
 
Last edited:
well AMD just unveiled the first card in their 7000 series and the nvidia gtx600 series is supposed to come out this quarter i think. Intel's Ivy bridge is also supposed to come out in April as of now.
wat psu do u hve?

Think its a 600 watt, but thats staying in this comp thats going to the kids.
 
Last edited:
Basic Setup

Case: Click Here $107.98

Hard Disk: Click Here $109.98

Motherboard/CPU(fan included)/1Stick Ram 4gb: Click Here $272.36

Another Stick 4Gb Ram: Click Here $26.99

Video Card: Click Here $179.99


Power Supply: Click Here $89.99

Total: $787.29

Now you will still need small bells and whistles. internal cables that might not come with it. but thats under 10$. then add a DVD Drive or blue ray if u like.. remember this is just a basic setup and i did this on the fly but it is a ok start. others might have a better idea what you should get.
 
I am just curious, are you going to be using the os in this new build or will it stay in the current system? If itll stay in the current system, I would recommend going with 7 pro for the os based on the security features.
 
Ok, I think this is a winner.

2500k: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
New sandy bridge.
p67 mobo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574
8gb 1600mhz ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
8gb is plenty for today's games, any more is overkill.
750watt modular PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
6950 graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523
A 6950 is better then a 560ti.
500gb HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767
DVD drive : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
$999 plus $75 MIR
If you wanted to save money you could drop a level mobo, one without all the bells and whistles. -$30
And drop to a modular psu -$50
You could get a SSD with that MIR. A better case maybe. I don't know if you need a wireless card, ect.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I think this is a winner.

2500k: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
New sandy bridge.
p67 mobo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574
8gb 1600mhz ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
8gb is plenty for today's games, any more is overkill.
750watt modular PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
6950 graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523
A 6950 is better then a 560ti.
500gb HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767
DVD drive : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
$999 plus $75 MIR
If you wanted to save money you could drop a level mobo, one without all the bells and whistles. -$30
And drop to a modular psu -$50
You could get a SSD with that MIR. A better case maybe. I don't know if you need a wireless card, ect.

Nice Build
 
Last edited:
I would get the 2500k. The 2600k is .1 ghz faster (3.3ghz v 3.4ghz) which is hardly any difference. You would find much more benefit from that 100 dollars to get a SSD or a level up in graphics, ect. I would personally want a corsair power supply, a lot more reputable then a cooler master.
 
Last edited:
I would get the 2500k. The 2600k is .1 ghz faster (3.3ghz v 3.4ghz) which is hardly any difference. You would find much more benefit from that 100 dollars to get a SSD or a level up in graphics, ect.

While the .1 ghz increase is not the main difference (hyper threading would be), the 2500k is still the better buy. For your use, definitely stick with the 2500k.
 
While the .1 ghz increase is not the main difference (hyper threading would be), the 2500k is still the better buy. For your use, definitely stick with the 2500k.
Well but hyper threading isn't useful when you are talking running 1 game plus ventrilo and maybe a few other programs.

Updated build. HDD is now a 120gb SSD for you christy

2500k: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
New sandy bridge.
p67 mobo : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130574
8gb 1600mhz ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
8gb is plenty for today's games, any more is overkill.
6950 2gb graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150530
650w modular psu: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220603

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
$1056 plus $115MIR and $5 shipping. If you include the mir that leaves another $60 to play around with if anyone has any suggestions.

Build edited, went from 750w to 650w
Also, 2gb card instead of 1gb
 
Last edited:
I realize that. That was why I said for his use, the 2500k is the better buy. But then, he is probably fine with his x4 940 he has now for 1 game and ventrilo...

I definitely like the addition of an ssd. I would probably go with a cheaper, newer psu of 650w at most.

One thing though, depending on when you plan to buy, new hardware is being released around april from intel and nvidia which should change pricing up a good bit and likely provide a better cpu for you to buy (ivy bride equivalent of the 2500k) and cheaper/better graphics. Your system seems decent at the moment, especially if you mainly play cs, but if you are looking for an immediate upgrade, then what chili dude has recommended is good.
 
I'd have to go with what Chili dude said, can't get much better. But of course if you can wait till the newer models come out then you might see the prices drop a bit lower?
 
I'd have to go with what Chili dude said, can't get much better. But of course if you can wait till the newer models come out then you might see the prices drop a bit lower?

Agreed, thanks chili (and Trippey)!

As far as waiting, hell no! As soon as I get my money, this comp is going out the door!
 
Agreed, thanks chili (and Trippey)!

As far as waiting, hell no! As soon as I get my money, this comp is going out the door!

You could ship the old one to me for free???? If you are gonna throw it away, just wipe out the hardrive for me, and i'll take it, lol. I can give you a P.O Box number?

unless you don't actually mean your gonna get a hammer, and start breaking the old computer.
 
Last edited:
You could ship the old one to me for free???? If you are gonna throw it away, just wipe out the hardrive for me, and i'll take it, lol. I can give you a P.O Box number?

unless you don't actually mean your gonna get a hammer, and start breaking the old computer.

Think its a 600 watt, but thats staying in this comp thats going to the kids.


Read the threads.
 
Agreed, thanks chili (and Trippey)!

As far as waiting, hell no! As soon as I get my money, this comp is going out the door!

Not always the best move considering new tech is just down the road in a month or so. Not to mention, your current computer does not appear to be that slow.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top