PSU Wattage

RapTure

Active Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
320
What's up guys I posted a similar thread like this about 1 month ago but, I am building a new PC pretty soon. My setup will be as follows

AMD FX-4100 Overclocked to 4.1GHz
Gigabyte GA-970a D3 Mobo
8-16GB of Corsair Vengeance DDr3 1600
2x7200 RPM drives
PNY GTX550 Ti (Fermi)
1x standard optical drive
Case: Antec Nine hundred (With only the fans that come with it)

Additional stuff-
Razer Naga
Razer Blackwidow
2 Flashdrives
External HDD

I currently have a Corsair CX500 PSU and According to most calculators this will be okay. I just want some second opinions on wattage.

Also secondary question. My mobo has a PCI-e x16 slot and a PCI-e x4 slot. Any cheap video cards that would work in sli with my 550 while in the x4 slot like maybe just some low profile cards or something to take over physics?

I will be playing BF3, DotA2, CS:S/GO, and basically all other valve games.

Thanks for your time :)
 
Last edited:
PSU is fine or what you have.

And as for a physx card, very few games use it, so it probably is not worth the trouble/cost (especially for the games you listed). A second 550 Ti would be a better investment and actually improve fps.
 
Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking about a set of 550ti's. After doing research on tomshardware the 550ti won't be bottlenecked by the 4x slot. I need to find someone with a spare. Don't want to pay full price. I looked all through eBay and Craigslist and can't find any cheaper than what amazon has them for.
 
Cheapest I've got is $105 here

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-550D5_G

Using a 15% off code they show on the page, though it expires today. Not sure if it is the greatest deal. Prices will eventually drop when nvidia releases their new line if you can wait that long, or else, that might be tempting. I know evga also has a b stock list of merchandise that have 90 day warranties, though I doubt the price would be much lower than the card I listed atm.
 
I might just save for a while. I won't have a good video card for about 3 months. I need to buy a new case then new video card and I only get about 100 bucks a month.
 
always go a bit over. Id suggest 600 so you have room to upgrade, which you eventually will. Im running a 600 w psu.. look at the hardware in my sig.. I have good head room.
 
He already has the CX500, so he is fine. And unless he ends up getting a 7990, he will be fine to upgrade down the road. Power consumption is going down slightly on the highest end cards as performance is greatly increasing.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top