Hard Drive Partitioning

Fearless888

Active Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
408
I've been reading around the internet about partitioning hard drives and there seem to be mixed emotions about whether or not to partition one. I am just wondering if anyone here partitions their hard drive to achieve faster load times for gaming or something like that. Also, how should I organize the partitions to minimize the possibility of performance loss (e.g. from the HD having to access both partitions for something). Thanks.
 
I have my primary drive partitioned. I have images and some documents on that partition, and the main OS on the other. I haven't noticed any real load times being better, but it makes it easier for organization for me.

As per how to organize your partition(s), you want your programs and the partition with the OS on the same one. After that, it's pretty much all fine and dandy to have anything else anywhere else.
 
I suggest having at least 2 partitions.1 for the OS and the rest for games,pictures,documents,etc. The OS one shouldn't be bigger than 20GB.
I don't think performance has anything to do with partitions (could be wrong).
 
I have my primary drive partitioned. I have images and some documents on that partition, and the main OS on the other. I haven't noticed any real load times being better, but it makes it easier for organization for me.

As per how to organize your partition(s), you want your programs and the partition with the OS on the same one. After that, it's pretty much all fine and dandy to have anything else anywhere else.

+1 to this. The main point on partitioning a hard drive is mainly for organization. Now if you want performance difference, then get yourself an SSD.

Also theres plenty of free partition tools out there. If you really dunno what you are doing, either get a friend to help or read up on the manuals of how to partition the drives. Some programs are easy while others take a lil more time. I think the program I use is Active Boot Disk (which is on a cd). There is also Partition Magic. Those 2 names come up right off the bat. Choose a program you feel the most comfortable with. If you need some additional help, feel free to hit us up (thats why were here).
 

Latest posts

Back
Top