Good Mobo for i5.

Demoralized

Poster
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
222
As the title says, I'm looking for a good mobo for an i5 2500K. Price range is around 250-300. Ready....GO!

If it's important, I'm running a Corsair TX750V2, an ASUS 6970 with 16 gigs of GSkill.
 
I'm actually an AMD fanboy, running a Sabertooth 990FX at the moment, just decided to go intel. Those boards are LGA1366, I need an 1155 for an i5.
 
i know this is off topic but what ya think of this build im about to goto frys to buy

Motherboard

http://www.frys.com/product/6907177?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

CPU

http://www.frys.com/product/6820686

The UD5/basically anything built by Gigabyte in the last 6-9 months is rather poor (there are a few exceptions).

For example, the 990FXA-UD5/UD7 suffer from absurdly high vdroop. The voltage drops A LOT under load, which makes any sort of meaningful overclocking much more difficult.

The only High-End AM3+ board that I would buy is the Crosshair V
 
Last edited:
The UD5/basically anything built by Gigabyte in the last 6-9 months is rather poor (there are a few exceptions).

For example, the 990FXA-UD5/UD7 suffer from absurdly high vdroop. The voltage drops A LOT under load, which makes any sort of meaningful overclocking much more difficult.

The only High-End AM3+ board that I would buy is the Crosshair V

wow Gigabyte dropped the ball big time.. yea you can help it add LLC to the UD5's bios but really.. i think ill just upgrade to the Crosshair V and leave my cpu for now. the 8150 sucks..

Thanks guys for all the help just saved me $250 :thumbup:
 
wow Gigabyte dropped the ball big time.. yea you can help it add LLC to the UD5's bios but really.. i think ill just upgrade to the Crosshair V and leave my cpu for now. the 8150 sucks..

Thanks guys for all the help just saved me $250 :thumbup:

It really makes no sense to buy the UD7/UD5 since the CHV is like the same price, but is feature parity with the others. +it has all the ROG goodies (ROG connect, ln2 mode)....matters to me, most people won't ever use them.

the 990FXA-UD3 is actually decent though. I think the terribad vdroop has something to do with the switch to driverMOSFETS. the UD5/UD7 are the first Gigabutt AMD boards to use them, so maybe it is just a growing pain thing. That or someone important left, and now their boards are just mediocre.

@OP, for $300, that is almost Maximus IV range. If you can save a bit more, that would be worth looking into.
 
Not sure I would spend more on my motherboard than the actual cpu. A good $170-$200 mobo would be plenty unless you need all the ports, usb 3.0, and overclocking ability (if you are a bencher who must have every last ounce out of your chip). I made the mistake of buying a board that was over the top, and I regret it. Unless you need the features provided by it, save yourself the $100 or so.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top