[Android] Help Needed.

Slazenger

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 9, 2010
Messages
2,652
Wow. Where to start....long story short - I had a release-day HTC Thunderbolt that decided to take a swim. It works 100% A-OK except it does not respond to touch (I'm assuming it's a digitizer issue). As a result, I'm unable to connect it to my computer due to my use of a pattern lock...so I can't select to connect. My brother was nice enough to give me his old HTC Incredible for use until I either fix my T-Bolt or get a new phone come November.

My two major questions:


  1. Is there any chance the touch screen on the Thunderbolt is salvageable? The folks at Verizon and a third party repair joint said that it would have to be a mainboard issue rather than the digitizer itself. Is that true? Would replacing the digitizer potentially have any effect? Is there something else I can do? Should I attempt to pop open my phone and give it a look (and thus void the warranty)? Should I send it back to Verizon for replacement (the battery water indicator only showed a bit of moisture damage rather than it being soaked and there are no other exterior water damage indicators on the release-day version - but I'm assuming there are internal indicators) but if they find it has water damage - I get charged ~$560? Essentially...what are my options? All of this being said - there was visible water EVERYWHERE. There was a pool under the screen, water dripping from all the holes on the inside of the phone, etc. It was dried in silicon beads for about a week....although I did turn it on after two days and got a very faint sizzle. When I pulled the phone from the water - it was turned on, working fine, and on a boot window with several options and a background of the android guy.
  2. I'm trying to recover data from the built-in memory on my T-Bolt. I have the 32GB micro-SD card out and in the Incredible, but some things (most importantly - my contacts) were only on the internal storage. I had Lookout installed (and thus had my contacts backed up), but registering the Incredible with Lookout apparently wiped all of my T-Bolt's data from their site (smart....). Verizon's online backup is no longer available either - same deal....I can't access anything about the T-Bolt now (it just says deactivated). Someone on a droid forum suggested the following to recover lost data for someone who was having similar issues: root, install sprecovery, backup system. Then restore your image on another phone.
Is that a bad idea? I've heard plenty of friends say that rooting is a good thing to do, but I've never seen the need. I just need to recover my contacts V_V - everything else I can take care of manually.







Any and all help is super-duper appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss - computers are my specialty...not phones. :P
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the link - it might be my last option! Still looking for opinions or suggestions if anyone has them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top