Thinking about a custom build under $1500

Oberst

EGO Addict
=(e)=
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
1,170
Hello there everyone, this year I am looking into investing into getting the parts needed for a custom build PC. I have some things in mind, and I want to see what you guys think. The more I save the better so I can purchase Windows 7 after. I am new to this so if you have some insight please feel free to share it!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U"]Case[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00503EA80/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amazondiscountgpb-20"]Motherboard[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CCS266/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amazondiscountgpb-20"]Hard Drive[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SIMPXM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amazondiscountgpb-20"]DVD Drive[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X24ISU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amazondiscountgpb-20"]Power Supply[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I72600K-Core-i7-2600K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXSA%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1346567-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004EBUXSA"]CPU[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KZHRAM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amazondiscountgpb-20"]Video Card[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Modules-KHX1600C9D3K4-16GX/dp/B0033BTACM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329436131&sr=1-3"]RAM[/ame]
 
that is fine, I wouldn't really be purchasing anything till september most likely
 
Amazon will have some decent prices on some stuff like cases and optical drives, but often they have higher prices on other components. Make sure you check newegg as well, and possibly for combo deals.

Couple things now about the build:

HDD is only 5900 rpm.
PSU is old and expensive. Here is a newer 80 plus GOLD from rosewill that has great reviews and is a bit cheaper:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071
2600k is probably overkill unless you require the hyperthreading it provides over the 2500k which is $100 cheaper.
16gb could be overkill as well unless you really need it. 8gb is plenty for most.

As was said, the landscape will be changing soon around April with the release of ivy bridge (the update to sandy which will change the cpu you end up getting) and the release of new graphics cards from nvidia and the remaining ones from amd. This will benefit pricing hopefully and change this pick as well likely. You will definitely want to post closer to your purchase date, like a week out. Hope this helps though.
 
that is fine, I wouldn't really be purchasing anything till september most likely

You should wait until July/August before you start looking at products. Prices would be different then than it is now because of the new stuff coming out in the next month or so, so any effort now is really wasted unless you plan on doing the purchase BEFORE the price changes.
 
Ah, okay then. I will make a follow up post in the coming months then. Thank you guys for the advice!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top