Question about crossover cables

Fearless888

Active Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
408
I'm going to buy a crossover cable to link 2 computers together, but it appears that there are several types of these cables. Do I need to worry about compatibility issues with my computers or can I buy any CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet crossover cable and connect my 2 computers together?

Also, does it matter if the computers have different OS's (i.e. XP and 7)?
 
You can use cat5 or cat6 which ever one you want, that only depends on what speed will be used... As far as OS I don't think it matters as long as its the same platform (windows). When I get home I can look in my book, learned all of this last week in class.
 
Cat6 should work, but Id wait for another reply.
 
Cat6 can be used ... You can use cat3, cat5, cat5e, cat6 it doesn't matter, it just has to be a crossover cable, and like I said before if it a windows platform it will work. (xp, windows 7) you will have to change some settings in network and sharing, which I'm sure you already know about.
 
I have to add my 2 cents.. guys crossover cables are really not used anymore unless your hooking up old computing devices together..
Auto-MDIX
Introduced in 1998, this made the distinction between uplink and normal ports and manual selector switches on older hubs and switches obsolete. If one or both of two connected devices has the automatic MDI/MDI-X configuration feature there is no need for crossover cables

Cat 5 is the norm for Ethernet if you go to best buy or another store you will be buying Category 5e.. cat 6 is for gigabyte but it will work for 10/100.. If i was you just go with Cat 5 since your not hooking up 10K servers and need the bandwidth

Also why not a mini switch? I assume you will want internet? Go from your Modem/router to the mini then the 2 computers.. Or if your modem/router has more then 1 Ethernet port just hook the computers to it..

If you think I don't know what I am talking about then blame Cisco I am a CCNA
 
Last edited:
I just want to make a LAN between 2 computers so I can play in the same LAN with both computers. Is there some way to do that without crossover cables?

Does this auto mdi allow for the creation of larger LAN's?

Basically I only need to make a 2 computer LAN, but if there is a way to make a larger LAN for not much higher cost, then I might do that.

Also, I have a Dlink router connected to my modem, and the computers are wired to the Dlink router. Can I connect them to a LAN somehow using that connection?
 
Last edited:
Then you have your LAN....In your settings make sure there in the same network..IE HomeGroup.. If you need help setting up your network PM me and we can hop on vent.

Auto-MDIX ports on newer network interfaces detect if the connection would require a crossover, and automatically chooses the MDI or MDIX configuration to properly match the other end of the link. So.. no need for Crossover..

Auto-MDIX is just a Interface that allows the network adapter to auto switch to make the connection. if you PC's are newer then 1998 odds are they have Auto-MDIX

MDIX is medium dependent interface crossover
 
Last edited:
Well I was able to create the home network and view the 2 computers on the same network, but when I tried to access the shared files on the other computer I get this message:

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (ME-F2E4FC1E4A0D)

It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".

Will that affect my ability to lan or just my ability to share files?
 
Well I was able to create the home network and view the 2 computers on the same network, but when I tried to access the shared files on the other computer I get this message:

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (ME-F2E4FC1E4A0D)

It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".

Will that affect my ability to lan or just my ability to share files?

Did you set up both pcs under the same workgroup name??


http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Add-a-device-or-computer-to-a-network
 
Yes they are both in the same workgroup name. I am able to see both computers in the workgroup, but I just can't access the shared files on the other computer from my computer for the reason previously listed. I am going to try to do the lan game today as I the person I am lanning with will be coming over today. Just wanna make sure that the file sharing problem won't affect my ability to lan.
 
Did you check if the file or folder is in Sharing mode/permission? You can try and disable firewall and check if you can access the file.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top