Looking to update GPU in May

LostSerenity

Poster
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
167
Hey everyone,

I was going to upgrade my Sapphire 6870 that I got last year with something a little more along the enthusiast line around may. I think my price would be around 500-650$ possibly. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a new line of cards coming out or just great cards in general that have good bang for their buck.
 
Last edited:
well no one really knows the full line up yet and the 6870 is still a good card
 
yea for the price it is really beast, I wanted to crossfire it but I heard some games can be hindered by duel card set ups
 
I have 2 gtx 460s. Never had a problem with sli. Any games you have heard specifically that you play where 2 in crossfire would be problematic or is this more of a general concern you have heard of dual card setups?

And currently, a 7970 would fit the bill (since you seem to be leaning to a single card setup). By May, the whole scene will change when nvidia releases their top of the liners as well. So until then, you are either going to have to play the waiting game or if you need the power now and you mainly play newer games, a second 6870 would not be a bad option.
 
7970 best single card on the market right now.

2 6950s would also work, though you have to deal with more issues on release day.
 
by then we *might* have a GTX 670 or GTX 680 in that price range.

or possibly a HD 7990 for a few hundred more.
 
No use trying to recommend a card now, not with new cards from both nvidia and AMD just around the corner. It's anyone's guess which cards will be the best, especially at that price range.
 
i just bought a 7950 (tired of waiting for the model of 7970 i wanted to come back in stock).
it will be here on wednesday. so when i get a few rounds of BF3 in i will let you know what i think. from what i am hearing from other gamers is that the 7950's performance can match that of a nv 580. and that a single 7970 can match the performance of crossfired 6970's.
i don't expext the 6 series of nvidia to be out til q3 of this year.
 
Funny story, My GPU fried out yesterday, borrowed my friends 6970 till I get something else, but I think ill try to talk him into selling it to me for 250...pull the used card and friends card on his ass. Somehow the 6970 is STILL 350 WTF its a year old
 
I would go for a 6990 right now. But thats a little above your price range (700)
So a 7970 would fit your bill. The only issue with that would be the drivers are pretty new, so your performance might not be the best the card can give. However, by may, the drivers should be mature enough to pump out some serious numbers
Thats the one thing I'd be looking for in your situation. Maybe hold back from buying the NEWEST and buy something with mature drivers. Otherwise its like having a big performance restrictor enabled. Sure it will eventually pump out some numbers, but by that time you will be tempted by the next newest card. Just my $.02
 

Latest posts

Back
Top