Rebuild/new build

Cascsiany

Dust 2 Devotee
Sr. Manager
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
4,202
Hey guys so I got my refund and I'm looking to either rebuild the HP Compaq dc5800 or take a couple components from it and make a new computer. My budget is $500 and I prefer AMD over Intel. The budget also needs to include operating system.

I won't be overclocking and will probably be mainly gaming. The only other thing I will really be doing is designing costumes and that's mostly done in paint. I don't edit a lot of photos or videos.

HP Compaq dc5800 specs:

Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista? 32-bit Business downgrade to Genuine Windows? XP Professional 32-bit

Processor
Intel? Core? 2 Duo processor E8400
? 3.0 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz front side bus
Chipset

Intel? Q33 Express

Standard memory
2 GB (2 x 1 GB)

Memory type
PC2-6400 (DDR2-800)

Memory slots
4 DIMM
Memory Upgrade
Expandable to 8 GB through four industry-standard DIMM slots

Internal drives
Internal hard disk drive
160 GB

Hard disk drive speed
7200 rpm

External drive bays
2 external 5.25 inch, 1 external 3.5 inch

Internal drive bays
2 internal 3.5 inch

CD-ROM and DVD
SATA 16X DVD+/-RW SuperMulti LightScribe

Hard disk controller
SATA 3.0Gb/s NCQ SMART IV
 
5me4hi.jpg


Bought as good as I can get it. Requires you to reuse your current case, optical drive, and hard drive. Hard drive prices are currently high, so reusing this component if at all possible is a must. There are some cheap cases you can get for about $40 if you can extend your budget.
 
I had already planned to reuse the hard drive while prices are so high.
 
If you are a student at a university, you may be able to get windows 7 for cheap through them or one of those sites that requires a .edu email address to register. Would save you a decent bit with prices on the os what they are.
 
yeah unfortunately i've already graduated, so no student discount for me. But that's fine, I got Vista free on my current laptop.
 
Well, I ordered the parts last night. I had to tweak the order a bit, but for the most part I stuck to the recommendations. I've never built a computer before, so do you guys have any suggestions for me?
 
Anandtech.com
Tomshardware.com
Even PC Gamer has step-by-step instructions how to build a PC.

And there's the obvious: Google how to build a PC...
 
Ok guys I ran into a problem while trying to install the mobo I/O shield. The first is the back of my case but the second is the mobo I/O shield. Any ideas as to how I can get around this problem.
th_001.jpg

th_003.jpg
 
Oh those OEM cases. Most cases have a push-out IO panel, but OEM wouldn't since they do't expect you to upgrade it yourself. If your new IO panel is the right size and you're gutsy you could try cutting it yourself. Or you'll need to look into buying a new case. Or you could pull a reflex, and just run everything open on your motherboard case.
 
APR got it right; you either will need to cut it out yourself or buy a new case. If you tried to cut it out yourself, make sure you get the (obvious) dimensions right. I'd vote for a new case, however. There may be future upgrades that you could run into problems with because of the case.
 
We've got about 4 or 5 computers/cases laying around the house. I looked and we've got another case that will work. It may not be pretty but it'll work.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top