Zune Music

Snipeye

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
4,867
Here's a question for anyone that can help:

I've got the Zune120 MP3 player by Microsoft. Love it, use it, and I'm still on the original Zune Music Pass subscription. Now, I know that Windows Phones, Xbox, and my Zune are compatible with Zune Marketplace, but I was thinking: what other MP3 players would be compatible? MS discontinued the Zune hardware, and a brand new Zune120 on amazon costs almost $500. I love my MP3 player, but not enough to fork over $500 for it.

P.S. I don't use iTunes or iPods so don't bother recommending them or mentioning them. If you do, I'll call you a troll and get the post deleted.

Thanks in advance.
 
There is the ZuneHD, but it doesn't hold 120, the highest is 64 gb. And what do you mean discontinued the Zune hardware? They still make ZuneHD's
 
I will not recommend anything that you dont want recommended. However, the above post is technically the only other item mp3 player-wise that comes close to the iPod. However, it is true that Microsoft stopped the production of the Zune after finally coming to a realization that they can never compete (overall) with the iPod & its technology. There are other mp3 players out there, but Apple's iPod still continues to dominate the market (mainly because of their app store).

If anything, the closest thing I can possibly think of is the Android Marketplace (that is if you have an Android phone). They are the closest competition to the Apple app store. I also have the old skool Zune (80gb), which I still use to this day. What I still enjoy about the Zune is the fact that the audio port doesnt mess up (the audio port on my iPod touch has been messed up since last year).

Im sorry that I cannot be of more helpful use on this topic, but seems that no1 else wants to try & drop the king of mp3 player technology. I also dont see Apple slowing down in their technological advances anytime soon (just my prediction based on what I have seen, heard & read).
 
If there is something wrong with your Zune, they still make the parts to repair it and they are really affordable. If you're looking for a new mp3 player you may be out of luck in that department. Zune hardware was discontinued in favor of the Windows Phone 7, whose Metro UI is based off the Zune software. The only other mp3 player I can think of that was remotely similar to both the Zune and ipod was the Creative Zen, but I don't know much past the name.
 
I can help with the info on the Creative Zen media player. Its primary selling point is basically the ability to watch movies (which I think both the iPod & Zune can both do). Also the ability to listen to your local radio station. No offense to Creative, but both Apple & Microsoft easily both everyone else outta the water. I remember when I got Creative's small 4gb mp3 player (this was back when iPod was just starting) & really enjoyed it. Now technically no1 can really get anywhere near Apple (like I said, Android/Google is the closest competitor).
 
Let me rephrase because I think some of you may be misunderstanding what I'm looking for.

I love using Zune Music. In a worse case scenario, if I have to replace my Zune Player, what MP3 players would be compatible with the Zune Music Pass I got?

Also, MS has discontinued the Zune (no new models). The ZuneHD may still be made, but the ZuneHD 16GB version is $330. Hopefully you now understand why I'm wondering if there are alternate MP3 players that can do what Zune did (let me play downloadable music w/ DRM using the Zune Music Pass).
 
Well in that case, your SOL cause the Zune music pass is specifically for that Zune media player. If you look into eBay, theres people always selling their Zune players. Id say overall, thats your best bet. I hope I have helped you out. Please feel free to either correct me or to help me further understand your issue.
 
I ran into similar problems with my Zune120. Loved the thing to death, but the software and security tolerances were too tight for my liking. I bought a ZuneHD but was not impressed. The small 32GB was not nearly enough space, so I was eventually forced to cancel my subscription and look for other HDD type players with other companies.

To answer your question, only microsoft devices will sync with zune pass to my knowledge. If you could get the zune firmware installed on your device it could work theoretically, but I don't think the firmware will install on anything other than a MS device made for it. I could be wrong on that, things might have changed since I last used Zune.

Also, if you decide to purchase a new Zune, keep in mind that there are better players on the market for the same price. Zune players are nice but the proprietary software and narrow codec support takes away from its overall usefulness.

-Blue
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top