PC Upgrade

BlackBird.

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 1, 2009
Messages
2,865
Hey guys,

I know everybody gets tired of PC upgrade threads,
But I got a question.


At the moment I have:

Mobo: Gigabyte MA770-UD3 rev2.0
Memory: 3GB DDR2-667 Ram
PSU: 550Watt OCZ Fatality
GPU: HD 4870 1GB
CPU: Phenom II x2 555 BE

And Im planning on buying this:

naamloosib.png




So my question is; Can I run BF3 at high settings with that new pc?


~Bird.
 
Have you made sure that you have a motherboard that will support all of this?

Also I recommend buying DDR3 ram but overall this should be able to play b3 on high but I'm not too sure about ultra.
 
Last edited:
If you look closely, Monty, his mobo is a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 rev2.0. It only allows up to DDR2 which is why he went with his RAM choice.

With that said, Blackbird, the CPU you're getting will be handicapped by the DDR2 memory controller on the board so you may want to think about buying a new motherboard. I can't comment on the PSU since I can't tell what brand and model that is exactly.
 
yea, bf3 is not really cpu dependent, so upgrading to the quad core probably will not help much there. This should help wit the overall computer experience though. However, the gpu should be a big upgrade for bf3. I am not that up to date on my ddr2, but I am not sure how worth it is to upgrade from 3gb to 4gb at a slightly faster speed. Might be worthwhile to upgrade your mobo too and get some ddr3 instead as was said.

Power supply is a corsair gs700 which is decent, but as to the price, not sure if it is amazing. Would have to see what else is offered on the site.
 
.

Power supply is a corsair gs700 which is decent, but as to the price, not sure if it is amazing. Would have to see what else is offered on the site.
I'd go for the AX, HX, or TX over the gs series personally. They have a better rep. Also the AX and HX have 7 year warranty and 80 plus gold and silver, versus a 5 year with gs and just 80 plus. Keep in mind the AX and HX are modular, and the TX and gs are not, if that affects your decision.
 
Last edited:
I'd say get a new mobo and ddr3 in the long run you'll save money. Also ddr2 tends to be more for less now
 
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Im not going from 3GB to 4GB, but from 3 to 8GB, as you can see in the picture.

Once I read somewhere that DDR3 is not much faster than DDR2, so its not worth the upgrade, but all of you guys say I should get DDR3, confusing:P
 
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Im not going from 3GB to 4GB, but from 3 to 8GB, as you can see in the picture.

Once I read somewhere that DDR3 is not much faster than DDR2, so its not worth the upgrade, but all of you guys say I should get DDR3, confusing:P

If you can find the article, let us know.

There wouldn't be if you're going from DDR2 800 to DDR3 933, but DDR3 1200 or 1600 would give you a sizeable increase in performance. Not to mention it brings you up to mainstream; lets you use the newer CPUs that have even better performance increases over the predecessors; and pricing is more fair and economical on DDR3 than DDR2 since RAM manufacturers are producing less or have stopped making DDR2 modules and now making only DDR3.
 
I see that 2 now. Still not sure the price justifies the upgrade. Unless you are using some ram heavy programs, that is a lot of money to spend on old tech.

And yes, while the hx and ax are better units, 5 year warranty is nothing to complain about. That is about as good as it gets from all other retailer's top end psus. GS series is not terrible, but I would have to see the other psus offered and their prices before recommending a different unit.
 
I quess I will upgrade my motherboard too now. Does anyone know a good mobo? Not too expensive please, also not too cheap:P

Also im looking for a modular PSU, just dont know when a PSU is good or not.
 
Last edited:
When looking at a psu you want to look at the reviews of it, warranty, and the certification on it.
 
Jonny Guru has the best PSU reviews on the net. For an X4+6950, I would look at ~450W. If you can find the Corsair CX430V2 or CX500V2 for a good price, that's probably your best bet on price performance.
 
Last edited:
Feel kinda late in the thread, but there isn't much difference between DDR2 and DDR3....just the speeds in which they operate. As Snipeye said, at comparable speeds there isn't much of a difference, however at high speeds, DDR3 is more effective. Another plus, is that DDR3 is significantly cheaper than DDR2 is. 8gb of DDR3 sales for as cheap as $40 i've seen, while the same amount of DDR2 is almost double that. With that being said, one of these days I'm going to max a motherboard out with 32gb of ram, just because lol.
 
Jonny Guru has the best PSU reviews on the net. For an X4+6950, I would look at ~450W. If you can find the Corsair CX430V2 or CX500V2 for a good price, that's probably your best bet on price performance.

I have 550Watt ATM, but I thought that that wouldnt be enough for X4+6950 2GB?
People tell me I need 600+ watt.
 
Last edited:
Also I will need a good motherboard now, anyone knows a good brand or good motherboard? (not too expensive again)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top