Display Drivers

Blindy

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
8,565
Hey everyone,
Within the last month, I've noticed that after playing for a while, my computer will alt+tab out of CSS or whatever game I'm playing and return with a black screen, stating that the "Display Drivers have stopped responding and have recovered", causing me to ctrl + alt + delete to exit the game.

Any ideas?
 
If your old drivers worked fine, just role the drivers back to the previously installed version.
 
It happened with the old drivers as well, but not as often. Do you think installing the new drivers was the reason as to why it's becoming a reoccurring issue, almost every day?

If so, how do you roll back your drivers?
 
Hello Blindy.

If you think rolling back the driver version will help you out read the steps below.

1. Left click the "Start" button on your taskbar.
2. Right click the "Computer" button and then left click "Manage."
3. A new window will pop up called "Computer management."
4. On the left side close to the bottom left click the "Device manager."
5. Double left click "Display drivers" and it should open a submenu in which your graphics card is named.
6. Right click on it and click "Properties" and then click the "Driver" tab and hit the "Roll back driver."

Hope this helped you out.

//T_S
 
Hey Transparent,

Thanks for your post :)

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this before I roll back my drivers.
 
I did with BC2 but it was not quite frequent. Not enough for me to do a roll back anyways. It would occur maybe once every 7-10 sessions. Eventually after a driver update it went away.

And btw, you can avoid some steps to get to the device manager by going the Windows Key + R then typing devmgmt.msc command. Lil' quicker for us nerds.:)
 
Okay, but does anyone know what particularly causes my drivers to continuously crash all the time? It doesn't happen every time I play but most times. The drivers automatically recover themselves but I still have to ctrl + alt + delete to get out of the game.
 
Okay, but does anyone know what particularly causes my drivers to continuously crash all the time? It doesn't happen every time I play but most times. The drivers automatically recover themselves but I still have to ctrl + alt + delete to get out of the game.

First off make sure you have current drivers for the correct hardware and download it only from the manufacturer's website such as nVidia or ATI/AMD. I wouldn't jump to rolling back a driver to a previous version yet. I'd ask you to check the device manager and see if there are any driver conflicts listed. If all is well in your device manager and it doesn't seem there are any hardware conflicts then you should look at slimming your software down in terms of what is running. You can check this by using the run command and typing msconfig. Once you're looking at msconfig you'll want to look at the tab labeled startup and review all of the items listed there. Before you deselect items in that list be sure to double check what each entry is for as you don't want to turn off something that needs to run. Be very careful with this tool as some of the other tabs can really get you in trouble if you do the wrong thing.

Let me review my train of thought and why I've suggested the above. Obviously current drivers from the official manufacturer's website is a given as you'd dislike installing drivers that have been altered and end up giving you trouble such as malware. Review the responses to the current drivers by other people and see if anyone else is having similar issues. The device manager will tell you right off the bat if you have hardware or driver issues and could potentially be related to your problem. Now the suggestion for msconfig (startup tab) is in case your game is being minimized due to something running in the background trying to update or gives a pop up window asking for something, etc. If you've updated drivers or changed your startup options please be sure to create a restore point BEFORE you make changes. After you've done all of that, restart your computer and then do what it is you're doing. I'd be interested to know what the outcome is, please keep me posted.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top