Just bought an ssd, have a question

Fearless888

Active Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
408
I just bought an ssd and I think I remember hearing somewhere that it is possible to allocate a portion of the drive to act as a cache for my regular hdd. Is this possible, should I do it, and, if so, how do I do it? Thanks.
 
Google search popped up this response:

"In order to do the Intel SRT the SSD to be used as a cache has to be 64gb or smaller , it can't be over 64gb. If you want to try and partition the SSD into two drives then you could use one of the partitions for the cache. I would try and make one 30gb and the other with the balance. You only need a 20 or 30 gb SSD for a cache anyway. In this paticular case bigger is not better. I am not 100% that this method will work but it is worth a try. You could then use the other partition with the balance as an addtional drive and put a few games on it also."

Also read this:
"TechSpot: Crucial Adrenaline Review, SSD Cache for your HDD
Julio Franco 26 March 2012 - 07:00 10 Comments

Last year we reviewed OCZ's RevoDrive Hybrid, which saw the marriage of a 1TB hard drive and a pair of 50GB SandForce SSDs on a PCI Express card. Potentially achieving performance close to that of a SandForce SF-2281 SSD with a 1TB storage capacity was very appealing; however, there were some notable drawbacks that prevented us from recommending that solution.

Then on January, Crucial announced the Adrenaline SSD series. Not meant to replace their existing and well regarded m4 drives, the Adrenaline is a cache solution meant to work along your existing disk drive, using a 50GB SSD to act as solid state flash-based cache for your larger primary hard drive.

The Adrenaline doesn't require any special drivers as it uses the SATA interface - it can be installed at any point and can therefore be fitted to any computer without the need to reinstall Windows."

http://www.neowin.net/news/techspot-crucial-adrenaline-review-ssd-cache-for-your-hdd
 
So whats the primary purpose(s) of using a partition of an ssd as a cache drive for a primary hard drive? What are the benefits & drawbacks of such technology?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top