GPU fan stuck at 100%

a pet rock

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
2,417
So my GPU fan is stuck at 100% fan speed, and it's freaking loud. Here's what happened:

GPU had an aftermarket cooler on it, now it's back to stock and in a new mobo. As soon as I start up after both those changes, it's running max the whole time. I have no idea why it's doing this or how to fix it. I've tried reinstalling the drivers and I've replugged in the power cord to it. Does anyone else have any other ideas/suggestions?
 
What GPU you got? A buddy of mine had a GPU with a stock cooler on it that was loud also. There was no software that could do anything to control the fan speed, not even RivaTuner (which can usually low-level control fan speed).
 
Last edited:
XFX Radeon 6850. The thing is, before I changed mobos or added the aftermarket coolers I had no problem adjusting fan speeds. And there was definitely a stock profile on the card that was lower on idle than at load temps. That was even before I loaded drivers up. On first boot, it definitely wasn't this loud. I'm thinking maybe flashing the BIOS, but I don't know how to do that or where I'd get a BIOS.
 
On XFX's site, if you register your card you will have the opportunity to download a new BIOS for the card and flash it. I believe in their support forums they do offer a walkthrough. Some have used their telephone support for the flash as well.

Keep us posted!
 
Thanks, I didn't even think to check XFX's website for a BIOS.

And yeah, huck, I tried Afterburner and AMD's Overdrive. Neither did anything. Someone over at OCN basically said RMA was the only option. I just don't like the sound of being without a card.

Edit: Just checked XFX support and they don't have a 6850 BIOS for download. Dang. Might just start saving for a new card. I can't really complain about more performance....
 
Last edited:
Dude that sucks. See if you can get a advanced RMA like huckleberry suggested, but most likely not. Stupid tech companies, I know how you feel. (I'm supposed to be without a working computer for HOW long???)
 
Thanks, I didn't even think to check XFX's website for a BIOS.

And yeah, huck, I tried Afterburner and AMD's Overdrive. Neither did anything. Someone over at OCN basically said RMA was the only option. I just don't like the sound of being without a card.

Edit: Just checked XFX support and they don't have a 6850 BIOS for download. Dang. Might just start saving for a new card. I can't really complain about more performance....

Rock, does THIS apply to you?
 
Yes. That is the exact model card. Thank you for this, I'm downloading right now and I'll try it out.

Edit: Just noticed they say Afterburner should still be able to change fan speeds while this is not the case for me. I'm hoping, but it doesn't sound like it'll work. Also running into issues with Windows letting me format my USB stick. Stupid.

Edit2: No dice. BIOS flash went off without a hitch near as I can tell. Still going 100%. Just a coincidence that my model card is the one that was having issues. Oh well.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top