Graphics Card and Power Supply

Hero93

EGO Zealot
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
1,659
I want to get a EVGA GTX 560 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661) . I'm not much of a computer guy when it comes to the tech specs. So i was wondering if my computer can handle it when i only have a 300W power supply on my computer. You guys will probably say no so can i get some suggestion of some power supplies that are cheap and affordable that can run a GTX 560.

Intel core i3 at 3.07 Ghz
Seagate 750gb hard drive
4gb memory
regular desktop motherboard
 
Last edited:
While I love evga, a nice alternative would a 6870 which performs slightly better than the 560 (depending on the actual game). There have been some nice deals on these the last couple of days so they will likely continue:

http://slickdeals.net/f/4238170-XFX...Rebate-Free-Shipping?token=ABoBBQAAAAAGOkCrWg

And yes, you will almost certainly need a new psu. I am assuming that is one of the generic power supplies that comes with a prebuilt? As for a recommendation, a good cheap one will be

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
 
Last edited:
If you could find the exact model of that PSU you already have, it may be enough. 300W is the bottom end of what's acceptable for an i3+6870. So if it happens to be from a remarkably reputable brand like Seasonic or Superflower, you may not need a new one. If it's from a pre-built system like a Dell or HP, you'll definitely need a new one. They use crap anyways, so changing it out isn't a bad idea.

The CX430 huck mentioned is basically the best unit at the wattage.
 
Heres a slightly better psu & comes w/ free s&h: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171060

Overall, both will have about equal performance except for lil things that most people like you wont even notice. Also I would like to suggest that you consider upgrading your cpu to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076

Now if anything, the cpu will prob be the last upgrade, being as how expensive it is. For now, I would also suggest possibly doubling up on the memory. In order to match up the bus speed of the memory correctly, pull up your search feature from the start menu & type in dxdiag. Click on that & itll bring up what your cpu is, motherboard type (which is important), video card, etc.
 
That PSU is actually worse than the CX430 listed. Unless by "better" you meant "rated at a higher wattage" because that's all it has. The 750W unit from that line couldn't even output it's rated wattages, let alone maintain voltage reg. I would expect the 450W version would at least have the same voltage reg problems if not load issues as well.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top