CPU Usage 100%

Tumblin

Poster Extraordinaire
=(e)=
Joined
Jul 5, 2011
Messages
2,827
When I got home from work tonight I noticed my computer was acting up. Just about anything I did on the computer would freeze for a while and sometimes the screen would go black for a little while and restore with video driver errors. I can some tests and found my 4core processor would have 3 at 0-5% and one at 100%. Each time the 100% popped up everything would freeze...what would cause this? I have tried multiple system restores and they all keep failing...
 
what is the program is causing this? More info would help in being able to identify the issue.

Virus is the most likely culprit but if it's a system process that is causing it then there may be bigger issues.

Use the task manager to find out if it's a program that is taking up all the cpu usage.

ctrl+alt+del > start task manager use the processes tab to find out this info.
 
Nothing bigger than 10k on the processes page. 25% CPU on a quad. #2 is currently at 100%.
 
check for updated mobo drivers and that all fans are working and temp is in order. If not then check for virus if no virus then the it's most likely the processor.
 
Honestly not sure...core temp never went over 36 and all my protection software found nothing.
 
A basic explanation to your issue is there was software running in an excessive amount. In the future if you want to save yourself the hassle of reinstalling everything, there is a guide for malware removal in this forum that is stickied. There are links to programs to download, etc. That would be the best starting place when you're having issues with your pc on a software level. I always make sure malware isn't causing an issue before I troubleshoot the operating system further. There are very detailed steps that will need to be completed in a specific order for proper detection and removal of malicious software and or root kits.

I'm glad to see you were able to get back up and running. Let us know if you need anymore help.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top